Life > Experiences

Time to Move Out Again? Tips to Making It Easier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

It’s that time of the year again! The end of the school year and the beginning of summer are approaching at full speed. It is incredible to think how fast time has passed. It seemed just last month that everyone was moving back in and saying goodbye to summer 2022. Now, let’s welcome summer 2023. But before we do that, we have to pack up our college dorms. This is a crazy time for packing, storing, and still needing to study for finals. Here are a few tips on how to make packing more accessible for you that will hopefully take some stress away.

Move-out prep

Take a look around your room; there are probably quite a few things you own that you can keep in a storage unit during the summer. When packing, it’s best to categorize everything. For example, you can create a category for taking back home, storing, throwing out, and donating. Putting things into categories makes it easier when packing things up. If you decide to put things into storage, check out sizes and pricing about a month before moving out to ensure you know how much space you’ll need and get a good deal. You can also start buying boxes and tape to prep for moving out. Home Depot sells large and medium packing boxes for approximately $1-$3 each, depending on the size.

Some storage facilities you can possibly use are:
U-Haul Storage
Public Storage
Extra Space Storage

Taking decor down

As the end of the semester approaches, you can start taking down decor and other items you won’t be using the last few weeks and putting them into boxes. You will want to keep it in storage, throw it away, or donate it. With a storage unit rented, you can move things into it little by little so you don’t overload your car at the end of the semester. You can start planning outfits for the last few weeks so you can wash your clothes and begin packing those too.

Daily essentials

You can start packing utensils and other kitchen and bathroom items during the last week of the semester. In addition, disconnect certain electronics or devices you may not need, such as fans. During the last few weeks, you want to leave only the essential stuff, such as shampoos, towels, some clothes, and bedding. By finals week, you will want to have disposed of any unwanted items and have finished taking other things to storage.

move-out day

It’s the morning of move-out day, and it’s time to dive into summer. But first, start your morning by putting together the last few items you kept with you. This can be toiletries, bedding, or some clothing. Then, you can put those away and fill up your car or luggage with them. Now you can breathe while you travel back home for summer, knowing everything is taken care of without rushing or stressing.

Hi everyone! I’m Alejandra! I’m currently a third year college student at GCU and I’m a double major in Professional Writing and Marketing. I hope you enjoy my articles.