This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

College is an interesting place. Sticking a bunch of young adults fresh out of high school together with no parental supervision can cause a lot of chaos and can end up with people making poor decisions. Don’t get me wrong; college is an amazing place to learn new things, develop lifelong friends, and have experiences you will never forget. With all of that also comes the typical college stereotypes: partying, drugs, and alcohol. That’s what most people will think of when you mention you go to college. If I had a dollar for every time someone has asked me, “been to any good parties?” or “going out this weekend?” I would be rich. Going out with your friends and having a good time can be fun and a good break from the amount of rigorous school work we have to deal with. But when does it get to a point where college is only looked at as a place to have a good time rather than to get an education? Where is the line when you are getting drunk every single weekend or can’t have fun without the consumption of alcohol?

College was not initially known for partying. Instead, it was a way for the upper class to show off their status and gain an education that very few people could do. Then, in the 1800s, fraternities were born, showing that they were elite and had high social status. They did have a pattern of reckless behavior and dumb decisions. It wasn’t until the 1930s that women held 40% of the school’s population, and the modern college stereotypes that we have today were formed.

Excessively drinking and partying is something that this generation has been desensitized to, but it is not normal. Going out every once in a while is fun, but feeling the need to get black-out drunk every weekend is a serious problem, and it is only becoming worse because of how normalized it is in a college setting. Demonizing alcohol is not the solution either. There are many ways you can enjoy alcohol (if you are over 21) healthily and maturely. But using alcohol as a coping mechanism or a device to lose control of yourself is an addiction. It is harmful to our minds and bodies.

It is really important in social settings like college to pay attention and ask yourself if you are doing this because of peer pressure or because it is something you want to do. If it is because of peer pressure, know that you are not alone. Lots of college students don’t enjoy partying or drinking. It is also important to take things slow and in moderation. It can be so fun going out and partying, but there can be a fine line between going out to have fun with your friends and going out for the sole reason to get black-out drunk.

Everyone has their own opinions on college partying. But, we mustn’t glamorize alcoholism and cover it up as “college kids who like to party.” Caring for yourself and doing what’s best for you and your body is essential!

Audrey Guy is a student at GCU majoring in Business Marketing and Advertising. When she is not in class or writing HerCampus articles you can find her in the gym while listening to Emma Chamberlains podcast, Rewatching Gilmore Girls, drinking a Chai Latte, or listening to Taylor Swift. Audrey loves writing about lifestyle, fashion, music, beauty, and more!