Life > Experiences

Thanksgiving Is Just As Cool As Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

We all know the most wonderful time of the year is Christmas. With the general atmosphere of lights, food, and decorations, it’s hard not to love this season. As soon as Halloween ends, people tend to jump into “Christmas mode” and begin Christmas shopping and decorating and even start listening to Christmas music. While this is all exciting, people tend to forget about the holiday that comes before Christmas: Thanksgiving. The “Thanksgiving season” is often overlooked when stores start shelving holiday items and the radio starts playing Christmas music as soon as Halloween ends. While there’s certainly nothing wrong with jumping right into Christmas after Halloween, I think Thanksgiving has a lot to offer that gets overlooked.

The Fall Vibes

We wait long enough for fall to arrive, so why push it away so fast? Technically, the first day of Winter is December 21st, and if you live where it snows, it comes way before that. Depending on where you live, early November is a great time to soak in the last moments of autumn. You can put together some last-minute fall fits and try a few more pumpkin recipes before you dive into peppermint. If your location allows it, you could even take some last-minute fall photos by colored leaves or pumpkin patches. Even if you live in the hot desert that is Arizona, you can simply experience fall through the wonderful change in weather as highs finally start to dip below 85 degrees.

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

While the parade itself has a lot of Christmas elements in it, it is still a wonderful Thanksgiving tradition! If you haven’t woken up to watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade, you don’t know what you’re missing! The pre-parade Broadway performances are always fun to watch. The floats are very creative and usually have popular singers on them. You would be surprised how well brands can decorate a float! And of course, there are the iconic balloons that float through the sky. It’s always been a wonderful pastime to wake up, sit on the couch with a fuzzy blanket, eat some cinnamon rolls, and watch the parade on TV with my family members. And then continue to stay on the couch for the next event…

The National Dog Show

Did you know there is a dog show on Thanksgiving? After the parade is The National Dog Show! Let me tell you, it is adorable to watch. Even if you don’t know a thing about how dog shows work, it is still a good time to see all of the dog breeds and personally judge them on their cuteness. A personal favorite pastime is rooting for the dog breed that’s the same as your pet.

The Meal

Yes, the best part of Thanksgiving… the food! There’s nothing more cozy than a Thanksgiving meal surrounded by the ones you love. I always look forward to stuffing myself with turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, and rolls. Family recipes usually make an appearance, which can bring a lot of comfort and nostalgia. And hey, if you’re reading this, you’re probably allowed to sit at the grown-up table too! This can come with some interesting conversations, and you should probably be prepared to answer questions about how college or life is going. Nevertheless, it can still be a wonderful time sharing a delicious meal with the people you love.

Counting Your Blessings

Thanksgiving is also a wonderful time to remember all of the things you are thankful for! It is so easy to get caught up in life and feel so stressed that we forget about the good things going on in our lives as well. Some fun activities to do are to journal the things you are thankful for or have everyone say what they are thankful for at the dinner table. Thanksgiving can also be a time to give back to the community. Participating in a food drive or volunteering for a nonprofit can be a very rewarding experience. Taking a moment to remember the blessings in your life and help bless others can be very uplifting and a great way to celebrate the holiday.

Overall, Thanksgiving is a great holiday! If you wish to celebrate more of this season, take some inspiration from this article, or participate in your own traditions! The coolest part about the holiday is that every tradition is unique. From big Thanksgiving feasts to small get-togethers, everyone has their own way of celebrating. Even if you celebrate with a Christmas tree in the background, go for it! However you celebrate, make it yours. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Megan has been creative and loved telling stories ever since she was little. When she discovered that writing was her passion, she decided to pursue a degree in Professional Writing for New Media at GCU. Besides writing, Megan enjoys reading, musical theatre, singing, traveling, and spending time with her friends and family.