This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Is there something about the holiday season that makes you feel – quite frankly – worn out? If you aren’t a huge giver or if you are someone who gives everyone the shirt off of your back, this applies to you. 

There are so many things you can do that really just pull your self care habits together! You are a big part of what makes YOU function. It doesn’t always have to be buying yourself a treat or going crazy. 

Going for a walk, taking a nap, eating a lovely meal, and especially asking yourself, “What do I need today?” will take you further than you know. It is amazing how easy it is to neglect the little things. How much time a day do you spend doing the things you want to do vs what you “think” you may need to cross off of your check list? Taking care of yourself may be the easiest way to boost your confidence, maintain a healthy lifestyle, and keep things in tip top shape. People are easily under the idea that self care must involve spending money, but this is absolutely not the case. You may find that if you are clean and taken care of, it is actually easier to make money. Our society puts a heavy emphasis on getting things done, which is of course important, but taking care of yourself is most definitely the glue that holds it all together. 

Rest is a big part of this. Trying to “get something done” while you are exhausted or not in your right mind will just leave you with shoddy results. 

It can be beneficial to make a list at the end of the week of areas where you could have done better for yourself, as well as to start the week with a list of goals will really push you into a great self care ritual. Thinking of ways you can improve and support yourself physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and financially is a good start. Separating your needs, wants, and excessive thoughts and emotions will clear your mind and your aura.

It is never selfish to take care of yourself. In fact, it makes it a lot easier to take care of others – to love those around you, the right way. There is nothing to be ashamed about when you are doing what you need to do for you. 

It is also healthy to encourage those around you to do the same. It is much easier to be in a relationship (romantically, platonically, or professionally, when you feel your personal needs are taken care of. 

Setting these goals and even making a change in your dates with your friends and the activities you do together can really help! A lot of the time, it may not be that you need SO much, but little things that would make all the difference. During this season, make a conscious effort at taking care of the small steps. You will thank yourself and appreciate those around you with a bigger and more open-minded spirit!

Hi! My name is Savanna Kerr. I was born in Hawaii/grew up in Seattle. I attend GCU and I am studying professional writing and psychology. I was previously a journalist and eventually head editor for my school newspaper in high school called The Kolus. I am looking forward to being on this team!