Pumpkin Pie Mug Cake- Easy to Make in your Dorm!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

It is pumpkin season everyone! You know what that means…pumpkin spice everything is finally here. Easy to make, delicious, pumpkin-y treats are back and better than ever. This mug cake recipe is so simple. Not only that, but it is an eggless one! Many of the ingredients are things you have right in your pantry at home or in your dorm. If not, these ingredients are easy to find and cheap to buy at the store. An individual-sized mug cake is something you don’t want to miss out on. It is full of all the popular fall flavors. So grab your friends, favorite fall items, and get ready for the best mug cake ever!!!

Ingredients:

Most of these ingredients are simple to find in the store, or you might even have them already!

Supplies

• Fall season or pumpkin-themed mug (12oz or 16oz mug)
  • Microwave 
  • Fork (or any mixing tool you have!)

Dry Ingredients

• ¼ cup all-purpose flour 
  • 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed (can be subbed with white sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 
  • ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice 
  • 1 pinch of salt 

Wet Ingredients

• ¼ cup pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
  • 3 tablespoons milk (any milk of choice: almond, soy, 2%, etc…) 
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or canola oil 
  • ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract 

Topping

• Powdered sugar to dust on top (can also top with whipped cream or frosting)
*TIP: There are several easy and tasty DIY frosting recipes on Pinterest!

How to:

A mug cake is very simple and easy to make at home or in your dorm for yourself or to share! All you need are the ingredients above, your favorite fall season mug, and a microwave!

1. Grab your favorite fall 12-16 oz mug and mix together the dry ingredients
  2. Add in the wet ingredients and be sure to mix thoroughly
*TIP: Use a fork to mix, as it will help to scrape the dry clumps from the bottom of the mug

3. Microwave for about 90 seconds or follow with 10-second increments if the cake is still uncooked after doing a toothpick test. The cake will rise above the mug; don’t be alarmed, it will settle when the microwave opens. Don’t open the microwave too early, as your cake might sink.

*Toothpick test: Poke the center of the mug cake with a toothpick, and if it comes out clean, it is ready.

4. Let your cake cool for several minutes and then dust powdered sugar as a topping before enjoying it on a cozy fall evening, or morning or for lunch… we don’t judge!

*Reminder: Make sure to allow your cake to cool enough so that the powdered sugar or any of your other toppings do not melt

Overall, it takes about 5 minutes to prep your mug cake and roughly 1 minute to cook it. You can have your own pumpkin pie mug cake in a total of 6 minutes… Say what!!!

However your cake may turn out it, will still be extra tasty. Have fun making your own mug cake, and enjoy this delicious, simple fall treat!

I’m a Junior at GCU working towards my Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education. I love learning new things and being creative 24/7. A few of my hobbies are running my small business, singing, dancing (badly), playing with my pup and enjoying the amazing people I surround myself with!