This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

As a college student, it’s natural to want to get off campus and have fun with friends or a significant other, but not every outing needs to break the bank. Whether you are looking to celebrate a special occasion, have a nice sit-down dinner, or want to do a new activity together, there are many inexpensive options to try by yourself or with loved ones!

Play Mini Golf

There are many different places to go mini golfing near GCU, like Puttshack in Scottsdale and Popstroke in Glendale. Some of these options offer tickets for as little as $10-15. Mini golfing is a great activity with a fun competition everyone can participate in, whether you are going out for a date, spending time with friends, or doing a large group activity.

go out during happy hour

Going out to restaurants is a great way to get off campus with friends, but eating out can add up quickly. To make it more reasonable, look for happy hour menus at restaurants you enjoy. These menus have a significant discount on many food and drink options, with some restaurants offering as much as half-off. Some great options are Joyride, Yard House, Trapper’s Sushi Co., and True Food Kitchen. This will help you save money on food and drinks, spend time with friends and/or significant others, and give you a break from campus!

get tickets to an art museum

Art museums are a great way to take a break from stress, unplug, and reconnect with creativity. Places like the Phoenix Art Museum and Wonderspaces in Scottsdale have innovative and immersive exhibits, with discounts for student tickets. Going to a museum with loved ones can help you step back and reflect on art, creativity, and self-expression, and help you learn to look at things from a new perspective.

shop at a farmer’s market

There are multiple different farmer’s markets in the Phoenix area that are open year-round and many days a week. These markets have a plethora of items to browse through, from delicious food to creative artwork, jewelry, clothing, and more. The Uptown Phoenix Farmer’s Market is open on Wednesday and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The Downtown Phoenix Farmer’s Market is open every Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Whether shopping for groceries, looking for new accessories, or going out to eat, a farmer’s market is a great choice, and it will help you find new small businesses in the area!

shop at an outlet mall

This option could turn out to be more expensive, but sometimes it’s just fun to go out to shops and try on fun clothes even if you don’t buy anything. Instead of going to a regular mall or clothing store, outlet malls have great deals on clearance items and can satisfy the urge to go on a shopping spree. Tanger Outlets in Glendale has great shops like Abercrombie & Fitch, Lululemon, Tilly’s, Aerie, Pacsun, and Hollister.

No matter what you choose to do, there are so many ways to get off campus on a budget! Grab some friends and try something new, and maybe you’ll make some new traditions along the way. Taking a break from campus can be incredibly refreshing, so take the time to go on adventures with loved ones!

Hi, I’m Hannah! I am a junior at Grand Canyon University, and I am studying Professional Writing for New Media as my major, with a minor in Dance. I have a passion for writing and journalism, and I love the self-expression that writing allows. I am originally from Seattle, Washington, and was homeschooled my whole life. I competed on a dance team throughout high school, and dance continues to be my main passion. Moving my body and creating choreography is a refreshing emotional outlet and results in artistry that constantly changes and feeds my passion. As a Pacific Northwest native, I’m virtually required to love everything that has to do with the outdoors. Whether it is hiking, swimming, backpacking, climbing, or watersports like wakeboarding and wake surfing, count me in! I am highly passionate about nature and sustainability because I love Mother Earth and want to do everything I can to give back!