An Open Letter to Those Who Can’t Fill the Void

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

You may be in self-denial, or you could be completely aware of the emptiness and void that you feel inside of you. Sometimes keeping busy may help, but before long, the momentary fulfillment goes away. Why doesn’t it stay?  Articles upon articles are written on how to “fix” this void and find fulfillment. Maybe you’ve read them, and you’ve tried what feels like everything…but nothing stays. No matter how you’ve defined yourself, or what you’ve decided you’re going to believe, if you’re unable to fill this void, I ask you read this with an open heart. Let yourself be vulnerable, and listen, because if you really are at a point where nothing else has helped, give what I have to say a shot; it could change your life. Nobody is around. This is just between you and me. I’m not here to yell at you, I just want to talk. Ok, you ready?

The answer to all of your questions would be love. I’m not talking about the love you have for pizza, (which is pretty incredible). I’m talking about a powerful love unlike any other, that can bring the dead to life! I’m talking about the love that Jesus Christ has for you. Wait, don’t leave now! We just talked about being open to listening. Maybe someone has burned you in the past in regards to Christ, but I’m hoping to shed this in a different light for you today. Back to feeling void, the darkness that seems overwhelming, the times you may be surrounded by people but feel lonelier than ever all have to do with not knowing who you are in Christ.

You should know that God loves you more than any human on earth could. Satan wants to keep you from knowing a love like this because he is the enemy of God. The enemy wants to steal, kill, and destroy you. God wants to give you life everlasting, fulfillment (that void we were talking about) and love unlike any relationship you will ever have. I am so easily deceived by Satan’s plans and can easily fall for his tricks, flooded with fear or anxiety.

Christ is the opposite of all those things; He wants to give you living water.

In the first section of John, there is a story about a woman who goes to a well to get water. While she’s there, Jesus is sitting in need of a drink, so he asks her to draw him some water. She was surprised to hear him talking to her; she was a Samaritan woman and Jews did not talk to them. She asked him why he was talking to her. Jesus replied, “If you only knew the gift God has for you and who you are speaking to, you would ask me, and I would give you living water.” This was puzzling to the woman, because he did not have a bucket, or rope to retrieve water – how could he offer water that was living? Jesus replied, “Anyone who drinks this water will soon become thirsty again. But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life.” The woman asks for this water and, long story short, he knows all about her; she knows that this is a divine moment for a stranger to have so much knowledge about her. As they went on talking she said that she knows the “Messiah is coming – the one who is called Christ. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.” Then Jesus told her, “I am the Messiah!”

That would be the moment when she understood what living water he was speaking about. Him, He is the living water that will never make her thirsty again. Christ is the living water that will fill the darkness, void, and emptiness you feel in your life. Whether you’ve sworn off the thought of God, or have been considering his existence, I want you to know he has never sworn off of you. He desires to have an intimate relationship with you because of his great love for you. You are treasured beyond what you could imagine, yet the enemy wants you to think the opposite. The enemy wants you to think that you are fine on your own, and that temporary pleasures work just fine for you – you just need more of them. Don’t fall for it. Because when you experience this kind of love that he wants to keep from you, you’ll never want to go back to these temporary pleasures. You’ll want the living water.

If you openly declare that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by openly declaring your faith that you are saved.”

Romans 10:9-10

Marina is studying communications at Grand Canyon University. After high school she traveled in the states for three years and considers herself to be a professional at packing. Marina is a passionate coffee drinker who loves photography, quoting movies as if they were the scripts to her life, and more than anything she loves to express herself through writing for readers to digest. Pun intended.