This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Video games are cool! It can be a lot of fun playing with your friends, by yourself for personal enjoyment, or unwinding after a hard day. Some people enjoy video games more than others, and that’s OK! Some play video games as a hobby and enjoy more combat-heavy games. But some don’t prefer to play these kinds of games and want to play more for leisure. If that person is you, no need to fret! There are plenty of leisure games out there. If you are looking for some chill, exciting, creative, and fun Nintendo Switch games, you have come to the right place!

Some things are more important to us when it comes to video games. That’s why at the end of each description, I will describe each game as a good choice if you are looking for a game with a good story, to unwind, or for entertainment.

Animal Crossing New Horizons

This game is the definition of cute, creative, and cozy. In this game, you create your own character and live on your own tropical island. The best part is that you get to make the island look however you want. You can befriend the villagers who come to live on your island that look like cute animals. You can also catch bugs and fish, and dig up fossils to donate to the museum. If you love this game and want even more from it, I highly recommend the DLC pack! The pack includes a whole new island to design vacation houses for villagers!

If I had to choose a favorite from this list, this would be it. I have put hundreds of hours into this game, and still play it to this day!

This would be a great game if you are looking for a game to unwind.

Stardew Valley

This farming simulator game is much more than just planting and harvesting crops. In this game, your character goes to live on your grandpa’s abandoned farm in the town of Stardew Valley. While there is a story to the game, you do not have to follow it. The main mechanic is farming and earning money. You can also befriend and even marry some of the townsfolk. There are so many layers to this game, and the best part is you can choose how far you want to go in the story.

This is a great game if you are looking for a game with a good story. This is also a good pick to unwind after a long day.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

I think most of us have played this game, but it has to have a place on this list. The game is very straightforward. You race around a track and use the item boxes to help you win. This is a great game to play if you want something fun to do with your friends. There’s nothing like a little friendly competition that could make or break a friendship! There is also a downloadable content, or DLC pack, that gives even more tracks to race on! This game can get pretty competitive and heated sometimes, so I wouldn’t recommend playing it to fall asleep at night.

This is a great game for entertainment and competition. 

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

OK hear me out. Yes, this game has some combat in it that can be a bit difficult. But I’m telling you it’s worth it. There is a reason so many people talk about this game, and it is because it is a masterpiece. The story is absolutely incredible, and you don’t need any previous Legend of Zelda knowledge to play it. The main goal of the game, just like every Zelda game, is to rescue Princess Zelda and save Hyrule from Ganondorf. The best part is that it is a completely open-world game and you can do whatever you want; you don’t have to follow the main storyline. I personally love to tame a horse and just explore the beauty of Hyrule and do sidequests. To name a few other elements, you can build vehicles, defeat monsters, design a home for yourself, complete “Shrines” or puzzles, and just explore.

This is an exceptional game if you are looking for a game with a great story.

Disney Magical World 2

Calling all Disney fans! If you want to live in a village with Disney characters, this is the game for you! Your character moves into a home, and as you complete certain side quests, portals to different Disney movies open up. The places you can travel to are the lands of Lilo and Stitch, Winnie the Pooh, The Little Mermaid, Frozen, Alice and Wonderland, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Within the lands, you complete quests to save the land from ghosts. Yes, the game has a little combat, but it is very straightforward and easy. You just aim and press “A”. There is even a main storyline within the town, along with sidequests with characters. Your character even owns a cafe that you can customize and host parties for your favorite Disney characters. I’m personally a big fan of this game and love to play it when I want to unwind.

This is a great game if you are looking for a game to unwind

Miitopia

Last but certainly not least is Miitopia. In this game, an evil dark lord has stolen the faces of Miitopia. It’s up to you, the hero, to defeat the dark lord and return people’s faces. The “fighting” in the game is not combat. You simply choose what kind of move you want your player to do. There is some strategy, but you just pick the moves and it plays out for you. The best part of this game is that you get to choose who plays the roles in the game. You can create Miis for every role. For example, if you want Taylor Swift to fight alongside you, you can! Do you want to create your arch-enemy as the dark lord? Go right ahead! Choosing who plays what role can lead to a very funny playthrough. I have played through this game multiple times so I could continuously change out who played what role. 

This is a great game if you are looking for a great story. It is also very entertaining.

These are the best games that I have found to be a good fit for anyone who wants to play some video games, but more for leisure. I’ve played all of these games and thoroughly enjoyed them! I hope one of these games caught your eye and will become your new favorite as well. Happy gaming!

Megan has been creative and loved telling stories ever since she was little. When she discovered that writing was her passion, she decided to pursue a degree in Professional Writing for New Media at GCU. Besides writing, Megan enjoys reading, musical theatre, singing, traveling, and spending time with her friends and family.