This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

It is the most wonderful time of the year and though the stress of finals and holiday shopping has had me reeling, I had the opportunity to see Disney and Pixar’s Coco this past weekend. Pixar has created movies such as Toy Story, Cars, Brave, and many others. Each being unique in their own way. 

The film has received a 96% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and has received critic reviews like Claudia Puig stating it’s “Enchanting and Dazzling, Coco is  resplendent love letter to Mexico”. Not only has this movie surprised me and everyone else with its sincerity and depth, but I would even make the argument that it’s the best film that Pixar has ever made.  Coco is directed by both Lee Unkrich, and Adrian Molina and was released November 22nd 2017.

In the past couple of weeks, Adrian Molina came to Grand Canyon University and spoke to students who were interested in film about the process that Coco went through before it released. He states that the crew traveled to Mexico to see and live in the culture before bringing the story to life.

The basis of the film follows Miguel, a young boy that has a passion for music who lives in a family where music has been banned due to a family member leaving to pursue a musical career. When his great grandfather left, the family cut all ties with him, meaning that no one in future generations knew who he was or what he looked like. Miguel, in a twist of fate, finds out that his grandfather was none other than the famous musician Ernesto De La Cruz. Miguel then finds himself in the land of the dead when he takes his grandfather’s guitar off of his grave. With the help of Hector and his deceased family, Miguel must find a way back into the land of the living before the night passes. 

Not only is the movie a tear jerker in all the best ways, but it has an amazing musical cast that has created beautiful tunes that will forever be branded into my memory. Pixar has also accomplished portraying Mexico and the Mexican culture accurately both within the storyline and music. This film is important not only because it puts Mexico in the positive light that the US has not, but it also brings families from different cultures together. The film is doing great box office wise in the US currently making $115,672,140 million but is doing even better overseas with a whopping $172,261,231 Million.  

The message to take away from Coco when celebrating this holiday season with friends and family, is to love the ones that are with you and appreciate the ones you have loved and have passed on. “You don’t get to choose your family. They are God’s gift to you, as you are to them” -Desmond Tutu. 

From Southern California and is currently a English Major in University. I strive to see magic in all things that our earth provides.