This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

High school or college theatre classes or performances can bring a whirlwind of emotions. I was a theatre kid all throughout high school, and I’ve felt a lot of non-acting emotions ranging from very happy and joyful to tiring and dreadful. I think most theatre kids look back on their time in high school with weird mixed feelings of happiness, embarrassment, and just the right amount of regret. I also look back on my time in high school with these mixed feelings. Wonderful memories were made, but I faced many struggles.

These struggles can sometimes ruin our experience during shows or classes, but not every struggle has to hinder our experience. I was a student and teacher’s assistant for a few theatre classes, so I’ve seen and experienced a few things. I’ve had my fair share of frustrations and burnout, but I have also grown in my talents and as a person. Here are some of the best lessons I’ve learned from four years of doing theatre.

Be A Team Player

Stakes can feel really high while producing shows, especially during tech week. It is easy for everyone to want to turn against each other and snap at people over a lost bobby pin. Or it can feel very easy to feel frustrated over the director who wants to run a scene for the seventh time in a row.

Performers, take a deep breath. I get it, it’s tiring, and you just want tech week to be done. But just remember that everyone is probably stressed out. I encourage you to take that first step to be calm in the storm. Refill your friend’s water bottle if you have time, help someone with their quick change, or give an encouraging word about a person’s performance. And of course, remember common courtesies. Stay quiet in the wings, be aware of what’s going on so you don’t miss a cue, don’t leave a mess backstage, and speak kindly to everyone. Small things like these really do add up to a great performance for everyone.

Directors and other production team members, take a breath as well. Have a little grace towards the performers. As students, they all have lives outside of the show. People are bound to mess up their lines, forget blocking and choreography, and just make mistakes. Whether the errors are intentional or not, handle them with grace and encouragement. Be stern when needed, but I encourage you to create an environment where the performers can shine and relax a little.

Take a Break if Needed

Burnout is real, even in theatre. Obviously if you are currently in a show, I would encourage you to stay through the end. But if you are in between shows and feel exhausted from theatre, I would encourage you to take a break. Theatre is best done when your motivation is because you love it and are truly enjoying yourself, not when you feel like you are crawling to rehearsal or class. True story: I took a break from theatre in the middle of my junior year because I was so burnt out and stressed. I knew if I spent another second performing, I might have quit theatre altogether. Instead, I took a study hall and ran sound for the show. It felt great to take the rest and space I needed, which helped me feel ready to jump back into performing my senior year. 

Enjoy Yourself!

Theatre is supposed to be a good time. Yes, it can be stressful sometimes, but don’t forget to have some fun too. The most memorable shows I’ve done were the ones where I had the most fun, especially with my castmates. You can find the most fun, talented, and creative people in theatre. Find your people, and have a fun time! Embrace breaking out into your favorite show tunes, or share your favorite theatre stories. You could also help each other with learning lines or choreography. Support each other, it will make for a wonderful performance!

Theatre is a beautiful art that can be a wonderful honor to be a part of. While it can be stressful at times, a person can make some of the most wonderful memories. I will always recommend others to do theatre. Not only does it help with public speaking and confidence, it grows your creativity and creates bonds with others that can last a long time.

To my fellow theatre kids, you are so incredibly talented, so go shine so brightly at your next performance. Break a leg!

Megan has been creative and loved telling stories ever since she was little. When she discovered that writing was her passion, she decided to pursue a degree in Professional Writing for New Media at GCU. Besides writing, Megan enjoys reading, musical theatre, singing, traveling, and spending time with her friends and family.