This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

The long awaited release of this Brooklyn-born singer songwriter’s debut album has brought many King Princess fans relief and happiness. The album features soulful ballads and bops, including the album’s first hit single “Cheap Queen”. But just because this is King Princess’s first album doesn’t mean she is a stranger to the music scene.

Born Mikaela Straus, King Princess first became interested in music after growing up in her father’s recording studio. Seeing how raw and gorgeous music was in the first stages of being made inspired her to learn guitar and begin songwriting. After dropping out of university her freshman year, King Princess began pursuing her music career full time. Her first single “1950” was released in February 2018. The single was a tribute to the 1952 novel The Price of Salt, by novelist Patricia Highsmith, as a tribute to LGBT love. King Princess uses her queer identity as inspiration for her writing and creativity, including collaborating with other queer artists, making visuals that express her own experiences as an open lesbian, and including the majority of her band being fellow members of the LGBT community.

https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-radar/king-princess-interview-2354828/amp

King Princess put out her first EP, Make My Bed on June 15, 2018. The EP featured first singles “1950” and “Talia” and featured a look into a semi-toxic Brooklyn love story titled “Upper West Side” and self-confidence booster “Holy”. The EP earned her the Breakout Artist of the Year award for Vivid Seats. King Princess toured her EP around the US while playing some of her unreleased songs for her fans. It definitely made the anticipation for her upcoming album even stronger.

“Cheap Queen” features the best of King Princess’s songs reflecting on her own experiences of unrequited love, hidden affairs, and coming to terms with her sexuality in a way that radiates self-acceptance. What makes King Princess’ style of pop music so unique is how her music (even the sad songs) pays homage to her previous love interests rather than regretting the time spent with them. If you listen to any love song now, it is hard to ignore the negative aspect that is portrayed in love. It is hard to come to terms with the fact that lessons can be learned through the pain we experience when relationships fail. King Princess achieves this in her music. They show her own growth with the meaning of what true love really is.

King Princess started her Cheap Queen world tour at the beginning of October and will continue performing across the country until the beginning of next year.  And one thing known for sure (which can be confirmed based on personal experience) is that she puts on a great live show. So if you’re looking for a new album to be completely obsessed with, grab your headphones and give Cheap Queen a listen. Your ears will thank you.

My name is Natalie and I am a Senior at GCU studying English with an Emphasis in Professional Writing and a minor in Literature. My passion is writing contemporary fiction, screenplays, and poetry. I'm a junkie for anything related to art, literature, film, and social justice. In the rare times when I'm not reading or writing, you can find me baking, at a concert, or eating way too many waffles.
A sophomore Communications major at GCU who is passionate about Jesus, writing, watching Netflix, and taking long walks to the campus Chick-Fil-A.