Life > Experiences

It’s Time to Stop Treating Thanksgiving as Just a Seasonal Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Thanksgiving is not a day, a month, or a season. Merriam-Webster defines thanksgiving as the “act of giving thanks” and “a prayer expressing gratitude.” In America, Thanksgiving Day comes once a year, but it seems like one day out of the year is still too much to ask for.  The many traditions of the American holiday take the “thanksgiving” out of the day. The turkey steals the stage as those who prepare the food work tirelessly in the kitchen for a flawless Thanksgiving dinner. A burnt casserole or a tough turkey is enough to completely turn the day upside down. 

The day ends with full stomachs and food that will last for days to come. That alone is something to be thankful for, but the next morning we run for more things to fill us up. We fight with each other, hurt each other, and trample over each other for products at the best deals. Thanksgiving Day comes and goes and society goes with it, forgetting why it ever came in the first place.

This year, Thanksgiving comes again amidst uncertainty and hardship. COVID-19 brought a new dynamic to holidays. Distance, fear, and restrictions kept families and friends apart last Thanksgiving. A year later, there are more losses and reasons to feel ungrateful. However, this Thanksgiving is an important reminder that though circumstances are not always perfect, there is always something to be thankful for. 

The most significant scene of Thanksgiving Day is when everyone sits down together around the table. They admire the full plates of food in front of them – dishes that reflect the family, culture, and season. The hands that prepared the food eat with those who enjoy it. The reasons to be grateful are right there: family, friends, food, and a place to gather. 

Thanksgiving dinner doesn’t take place every day, but that doesn’t mean every day cannot be a time to give thanks. In fact, today, right now, there are reasons to be thankful. That may be a new job opportunity, a good grade on that exam you studied so hard for, a best friend, or the evening’s vibrant sunset. Every day is worth giving thanks.  

As Thanksgiving Day approaches, thankfulness should be the topic of conversation. When asked what Thanksgiving means to her, Mackenna Leedy, a college student at George Fox University, shared, “Thanksgiving is a conscious effort of acknowledging what you are grateful for and expressing your appreciation for those things.” 

So, who said Thanksgiving is just a seasonal holiday? Thanksgiving is the action of expressing gratitude for the things given to you. It’s an everyday, spontaneous, in-the-moment gesture. It is a decision of living life in a way that expresses gratitude. It changes one’s actions and perspectives. Nobody has everything, but when we give thanks for what we do have, it changes everything. Each day, find something to be thankful for and give thanks, whether that is a public expression, prayer, or action. 

Savannah studies English with an emphasis in Professional Writing at GCU. Her dog and the California coast back home sum up her passions. She loves discovering more about this world through the process of writing and sharing her words with others!