woman wearing green graduation cap
woman wearing green graduation cap
Juan Ramos/Unsplash
Wellness

It’s Okay to not Know Your Purpose

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

“So, what are you doing after graduation?”

This has to be one of the most dreaded questions that most college students are asked at one point or another. It is extremely common for students to not know what they want to do after graduation. Even if someone does know what they want to do, a job may not be promised for them right away. Comparison is so easy to do, especially when people only post the highlights of their life on social media. People who get great internships, or have a promising career can feel intimidating if you feel like you have nothing lined up for yourself. When it comes to finding your purpose, there is not a road map, a guideline, a rubric, or a GPS system to get there. Someone’s purpose may be nursing or being a nanny. Maybe someone’s purpose is being a stay at home mom and running their own company. Someone’s purpose may be being a barista, or being a computer engineer. Everyone’s path and how they get to their goals is going to look different for everyone. Not knowing what you want to do after graduation can feel really scary and intimidating, but it doesn’t have to feel that way. If you have no ideas on what you want to do or what you like, take the opportunity and time you have in college to try new things! Be bold and go out for the clubs and groups that might seem a little scary. Take an elective that you know nothing about, you may like it! The worst case scenario for trying something new is that you won’t like it. At least you know that you tried and are actively pursuing goals and dreams for yourself. It is totally okay to be in a season of feeling stuck. The beauty of college and being in your 20’s is the ability to try new things and see what you like and don’t like. If you have lots of ideas and passions, keep pursuing the things that you love to do. The things that you can do forever and not feel burnt out? Stick with those things. Your purpose and your goals are not going to be identical than those around you. Your purpose is not measured by your achievements and success. Your purpose right now may be to embrace who you are, be present for yourself and those around you. Your purpose may change based on the season of life that you’re in as well. You may be called to work full-time in one season and be a stay-at-home mom in one. Your purpose and your journey is yours. You are not behind, you are not too slow, and you can do hard things. Everyone has their own pace and their own journey. You are allowed to take your time and figure out what you want to do! Just because someone is appears to be moving faster than you does not mean that you are failing, you are on your own journey. Transition is always a tough season. Whether you’re a new grad, a new wife, a mom to be, or anything above or in between, it’s always tough to not know your next step. May this season of transition be a season of gratitude and new beginnings for you to figure out what YOU love to do. You have talents, dreams, passions and gifts that only you possess. 

Hannah Clift

Arizona '20

Hi my name is Hannah! I am from Sacramento, California, and currently attend GCU to study Communications with a minor in Professional Writing. In my free time, I love to be with my dog JoJo, play guitar, read, and bake. I love to write about motivational and self-wellness topics! I am a senior this year and look forward to graduating and moving back to California!