This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Meet Julissa Mejia! A graduating senior at GCU and a nursing student who is entering the healthcare field during a monumental time in history. She is an ambitious and motivated individual who is passionate about caring for patients, specifically in women’s health. In this interview we discussed her experience at GCU and her thoughts about the pandemic as a graduating nursing student.

Favorite GCBC drink: Iced vanilla latte with almond milk and honey

Favorite thing to do on campus: Even though studying may not be the most fun activity for everyone, I had so much fun studying at GCBC with my nursing friends. We would always get off track and start laughing about something, but we were all in it together and we were able to help each other.

What is one of your favorite memories that you have at GCU? Midnight breakfast and waiting in line with friends! I loved watching the dance group, getting free food, and taking a study break with my friends.

How would you describe your nursing school experience at GCU? Starting with pre reqs, I constantly felt a lot of pressure because not a lot of people get into the program. I spent all my time my first year studying, and did not take advantage of the new and fun things around me. Sophomore year, I applied early and I got in and that was when I met the people that I knew were going to be my friends for life. We shared the same passions and interests and going through the challenges of nursing school together really brought us closer. Once I was in the program, I knew that it was my purpose to serve people and take care of them. There were many times where I doubted myself; however, my faith, my family, my friends, and my roommates really gave me the confidence and motivation to keep going. I honestly believe that is why I excelled in my academics, in the classroom setting and the clinical setting. Now that I am about to graduate, I really believe that I found my purpose at GCU.

What was your biggest motivation throughout nursing school? My biggest motivation through nursing school was that I had a calling to serve people, not only from the medical standpoint but also to really be there for people in their most vulnerable time. To inspire others and to be inspired as well. Even when I faced challenges like the really hard courses and waking up at the crack of dawn for 12 hour shifts to take care of people, I always loved every second of it because I knew I was living my purpose.

How do you feel entering the healthcare field during a global pandemic as a new nurse? I have mixed feelings. I am excited because I want to start my career, but also really scared to begin in the middle of this chaos. I am not currently in the field because our clinicals got cancelled. Hearing from other nurses the shortage of PPE, and all of the misinformation, it is scary knowing the things that I could face; however, I know that I have a calling to serve people and this is what I signed up for. I knew that as I went into nursing I committed to the mission of caring for others. That is what gives me the courage to go out there and start my career. I am excited to be a part of the greater team of the nurses, doctors, respiratory therapists, cleaning, and maintenance people.

How do you think our healthcare system is handling the pandemic? Back in January, we discussed the first cases of coronavirus, studied epidemiology of infectious disease, and questioned when a pandemic would occur. Our government also knew of the threat of coronavirus and a pandemic but did not respond quickly enough. Unfortunately, because no preventive measures were taken so many people are sick and people at the front lines are short on PPE, ventilators and our economy is suffering. Now I hope that government officials take the concerns and advice of scientists and medical figures seriously and support those on the front lines. Now we can only prevent further spread of COVID-19 and fight for the lives of those who are sick.

Do you have any recommendations for people to stay healthy and safe during this time? Use gloves and masks when out in public, but make sure you know how to properly use them. Do not cross contaminate when you use gloves and touch everything in the store. Educate yourself on how to use them. Take social distancing seriously and remember that it is at the stake of your friends and families health. For students, I know it is hard to maintain motivation but setting your alarm, getting dressed, and writing down what you want to accomplish for the day will help you feel more motivated. More importantly, remember to take time for yourself. Practice self-care whether that is watching a show on Netflix, journaling, reading, taking a nap, or exercising. Maintain some sort of order in your life.

Do you have any tips for future nursing students at GCU? You are going to face challenges and some bad days, but you will have good days too. You will have days where you treat the most amazing patients and hear touching stories. You will meet your life-long friends through this journey. At the end of the day, remind yourself why you got into nursing. That will always be your motivator. Continue to work hard, because you are training to save people’s lives, but also give yourself grace during this time because everything will fall into place.

What are your plans for this coming year as a graduate? I plan to take the NCLEX next month, gain my license and start in a new graduate program in the valley. Right now there is a need in the emergency department, Med Surg, and ICU because of the pandemic. Even though I have always had my heart set on labor and delivery I know that God will place me in other specialties that are needed and desperate right now. I am nervous and excited to finally transition into real practice and become the nurse that I am aspiring to be, which is a compassionate one that delivers safe, quality, patient care. 

Hannah Clift

Arizona '20

Hi my name is Hannah! I am from Sacramento, California, and currently attend GCU to study Communications with a minor in Professional Writing. In my free time, I love to be with my dog JoJo, play guitar, read, and bake. I love to write about motivational and self-wellness topics! I am a senior this year and look forward to graduating and moving back to California!