This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

As fall and winter approach it’s easy to get caught up with school and the whirlwind that life is starting to become. So many holidays, midterms, club events and so much more. Sometimes students forget to take time for themselves during this hectic season, much less other people. People never know what one of their friends may be battling on their own. With mental illness rates increasing among college students, making sure our peers feel loved and valued is more important than ever before. Here are a few ideas to be intentional with fellow students and help them feel valued.

1. Write them a note

With everyone texting and snap chatting now, handwritten notes are a rare sight. Taking time to write a note to someone about how much they mean to you or about how good of a friend they are shows that you took time out of your day to think about them and try to make them smile. It’s such a simple gesture but it holds so much meaning. You could even get them a card if you want to spice it up.

2. Invite them to lunch

Ask to spend time with them! If someone you know is acting off or upset, invite them to lunch and get some quality time in. By asking to grab a meal with them you’re showing that you care about them and you’re there for them, even if they don’t want to talk about what’s got them down. Lunch with someone is such a good way to demonstrate intentionality, especially in the fast paced world.

3. Invite them to church with you

One of the best ways to connect with others and show them love is through Christ. Invite them to church, get coffee afterwards and talk about what you learned in church. Not only does this show intentionality, it shows love for them as a brother or sister in Christ. Maybe church with a friend is exactly what someone needs after a tough week at school. Allow the Lord to use you as a light to others.

Showing others how much they mean to you is increasingly important. Grand Canyon University Student Care has been preaching the message: you are significant, you are not alone, you are worthy, you are valued and you are seen. This is so important with seasonal depression and the stress of the semester dwindling down.

If you forget that you are valued, seen, worthy, not alone and significant it is almost guaranteed that the people around you do too. Take the time to make intentional connections with the students around you during this season of busyness.

Hey! My name is Ana Marie (pronounced like Anna from Frozen.) I love to spend time outdoors in God’s creation. I also love watching sunsets and looking at the stars. Other than being outside, I am super passionate about books and literature in general!