This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Grand Canyon University students are known across college basketball for bringing the thunder. The student section, called Havocs, harnesses an electric energy that refuses to fizzle out even after the final buzzer has rung. If you walk into a GCU basketball game expecting a relaxing experience, think again. Here are some tips to get the absolute most at a game as a Havoc.

Wear Purple

The biggest mistake a person can make coming into a GCU game is wearing the wrong thing. Theming is incredibly important for Lopes fans; each basketball game has some sort of dress-up theme like western, camo, purple out, and more. Not sure what to wear? The theme for the game, which can be found on the @gcuhavocs Instagram, is an excellent place to start. Otherwise, wearing any GCU-branded clothing will ensure you fit right in.

Accessorizing is another great way to go. If you’re ever worried your outfit might not be up to par for the Havoc section, try throwing on a purple scrunchie or use purple eyeshadow to really show off your GCU colors. When it comes to the Havocs, there is no such thing as “too much.” Many of the more zealous students buy entire ensembles of purple for the games, filled with sparkles, LED lights, face paint, and much more.

CHant along

There are a handful of different phrases and gestures that the spirit program members will be shouting throughout the games. When you hear the cheerleaders start repeating things like “Take that ball away, take that ball away!” or “Go, Lopes, go,” join in and clap along to bring the hype and keep the energy going.

Some cheers are a bit more ridiculous, like doing the cha-cha when the opposing team receives a foul for traveling, or jingling your car keys and shouting “Start the buses!” in the last minute of the game when it’s clear the Lopes are taking the win. These midgame traditions help keep fans engaged and encourage the players on the court by having such enthusiastic fans!

Stay on your feet

All Havocs know that no one in the arena sits until the Lopes score, but true fans remain standing and bring the energy throughout the game. If you want to sit, make sure you don’t pick sections 102, 103, or 104 in the arena. Those areas are reserved for the rowdiest and most animated of Havoc fans, and they’re also the first to be filled. However, if you want to ensure you properly experience the biggest party in college basketball, getting into those sections is essential!

Overall, attending a GCU basketball game is a must-do at least once for any students attending the school. There’s a reason the Havocs are consistently ranked within the top 10 student sections in the country. If you are ever looking for something to do on a Friday or Saturday night, check to see if the Lopes are playing and head down to the arena for a night of entertainment, energy, and excitement!

Dani is a senior at Grand Canyon University studying Professional Writing for New Media. When they aren't hunched over a computer screen typing away, they can often be found socializing with friends, explaining the latest celebrity news and drama ad nauseam or rewatching some of their favorite horror movies.