How Taylor Swift’s New Album Lover Goes Deeper Than Just Love and Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

After much waiting and anticipation, on Friday, August 23rd, singer-songwriter, Taylor Swift, released her 7th studio album, Lover. This is Taylor’s longest album to date with a total of 18 tracks. Fans all over the world have been waiting months for the release of Swift’s album and have been dedicated to uncovering clues or “Easter eggs” about the album that Taylor has left behind.

Though Taylor is one of the largest pop artists in our culture today, there is a reason for all of the hype around this album specifically. Taylor Swift has a reputation of writing songs about love and breakups. Her name has even become a label and a stereotype amongst today’s pop culture. However, Swift’s newest album Lover takes a different approach on the concept of love. Swift’s record encompasses all aspects of love and everything related to it, including self-love, sexuality, and family. 

On this album, Taylor really dives deep into her life and tells stories through each song. Her lyrics are deeply personal to her own life and relationship with her current long-term boyfriend, Joe Alwyn. Lover tells the raw stories and allows listeners to feel the emotions that Taylor has been through over the past few years. Taylor even goes as deep as writing about her mother Andrea’s recent cancer relapse in her song, Soon You’ll Get Better. 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6436273/taylor-swift-mom-the-best-day-throwback

Taylor shares her heart in every single track, including ones like Daylight, Cornelia Street, and Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince. She writes about seeing the good in bad situations and moving on from the past that she has had a hard time letting go of. She also opens up about other topics that she hasn’t written about previously, such as equality and her political views in tracks such as The Man and You Need to Calm Down. 

In recent interviews about this new album, Taylor talks about Lover in a different light than her previous albums. She holds it with high value because of the place in life that she’s been at while writing this album. She says in an interview with Ryan Seacrest that Lover portrays her “newfound freedom” and she wasn’t afraid to speak truth on the record. It seems as though the public is responding very positively to the contents of the album, even more than she hoped for, saying, “These are the best reviews I’ve ever gotten my entire career. Like, my hands were on my face. I was fully in shambles…” Swift emphasizes her gratitude for the positive feedback on this piece of work that she put so much effort and emotion into. 

This time around, Taylor’s love songs go beyond the surface level love song and she sings about the hard stuff. The stuff in between that’s messy and that nobody likes to talk about. Swift gets more personal than ever in her lyrics, allowing fans to be able to relate to the good, the bad, and even the ugly. Her ability to show her authenticity through this album, is the most beautiful part about it all. Once again, Taylor Swift crushes the haters and her reputation, uncovering the real and raw Taylor that the whole world discovers through the album, Lover.

Hi there! My name is Lauren! I am an incoming freshman and will be studying marketing at GCU. I've lived in northern Arizona most of my life, but I was born in San Francisco, CA. I've always had a passion for being creative and have enjoyed doing things like singing, painting, and writing for as long as I can remember. Most days you'll find me with my big yellow hydro flask in hand probably talking about Taylor Swift. I hope to put a smile on your face with my writing, and to portray the love of Jesus in all that I do!