Life > Experiences

Growing Up with “Youngest Sibling Syndrome”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

As the youngest of three, I would say that I’m a prime example of an individual who struggles with “youngest sibling syndrome.” Don’t panic! It’s not a real disease or illness, rather a set of stereotypes that accompany all the youngest siblings out there. Stereotypes of “youngest sibling syndrome” include being spoiled, carefree, lazy, charming, and attention-seeking. As a youngest sibling who’s also a Leo, I’ve got a lot of odds stacked against me. Although some of these stereotypes may be true, there’s also an advantage to being the youngest. I’ve watched my siblings go through everything before me, and growing up, I took note of everything not to do. Whether they realized it or not, my siblings taught me a lot of life lessons.

When I started college, I discovered I didn’t really know how to do a lot of simple life tasks. Growing up, if my parents weren’t home, my sister always made dinner and dessert, did my makeup and hair, and sometimes even did my laundry. I had the art of getting out of things I didn’t want to do down, which, admittingly, became a minor setback for me when I moved out. So, to all the younger siblings out there, it’s okay if you’ve just got to college and you don’t know how to cook or if your lights and darks need warm or cold water (to be honest I’m still confused about this one). Despite playing into these youngest sibling stereotypes, here are some of the things I learned along the way. 

Go After What You Want

With my brother being the oldest, he often liked to play the parent role, which got a little annoying. Sometimes, I still catch him being unnecessarily worried, and I still get texts from him about credit cards, student debt, and ways to invest. Now that I’m older, I appreciate these texts because I have no prior knowledge about any of the things he sends me. 

Even with his parenting tendencies, the biggest lesson I learned from my older brother was to go after what you want. My whole life, I watched him accomplish what he wanted. He taught me that life can happen to you, but if you want to be successful, you’ve got to grip life by the hands and don’t let go until you’ve accomplished what you want. As far as pursuing a career, he showed me the value of gaining mentors. He’s always told me to find somebody who’s better than you at what you do and to learn from them. You have to learn to accept criticism! In addition, if there are people in your life you admire, don’t be afraid to reach out, even if it’s on social media. Essentially, put yourself out there, and don’t stop even if you’ve experienced rejection.

Being Fearless

My sister and I are very close in age, and as the middle child, she definitely plays into the “I just want to be heard” stereotype. As kids, she pretty much dragged me with her everywhere, did all the talking, and I was always introduced with the line “This is my sister”. As I got older, I learned to find my own voice, but it took me a while to be comfortable being on my own. Throughout all of high school, she was always unapologetically bold and never changed who she was. She doesn’t particularly care about what others think of her; she says what she wants, posts what she wants, wears what she wants, and pursues what she wants- even if it’s not the norm. As an adult, she’s shown me to be fearless in everything I do. Through this, I can confidently say my sister is one of the most joyful people I know, she’s always authentically drinking in every moment of life. As someone who’s struggled with being afraid and overthinking, I always draw on her joy for life and the way she makes the best of any situation.

HI! My name is Brenna Moreno and I'm pursuing a Communications major with a minor in Professional Writing! I love reading, my favorites being romance, fantasy, fiction, and poetry!! Passionate about writing and the world around us.