Life > Academics

Grand Canyon University Speed Coaching Event Details

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Absorbing advice from those who are well into their professional careers is the best way to grow personally and professionally. By connecting with those who are willing to give you some extra advice, you are putting yourself a step above your fellow peers.

One of the best pieces of advice to learn is how to balance both work and life. The Grand Canyon University Student Strategic Employer Initiatives & Internships is partnering with the Her Campus chapter and the Multicultural office to host a Speed Coaching Event. During the event, professional women will give advice to Grand Canyon University students about managing a work-life balance. The event will be held at the baseball lawn on Thursday, March 31st from 12 PM-2 PM.

Speed Coaching Event Description

The event will host women from a variety of fields from STEM to liberal arts. The event is not industry-specific, so you will gain insight no matter what your degree program or career goals are. In addition, you will be able to network with fellow students, recent graduates, alumna, and women in the workplace. You will have the opportunity to ask questions to a variety of professional women about realistic career advice after college, so be sure to bring a few questions.

Introducing a Couple of the Women

Here are brief bios of a couple of influential women who will be at the event. Reading these bios will help you in crafting some questions for the event.

JACKIE BOSQUE-DIAZ

Jackie Bosque-Diaz is the current director of Strategic Business Development for The Colibri Collective. Bosque-Diaz has over thirty years of experience in her field with a strong grasp of multicultural markets. In her role, she is responsible for strategic business generation on a national scale and collaborating with clients.

ANGIE SIMON

Angie Simon is the Vice President of International Development for Hope 4 Kids International. In her role at Hope 4 Kids International, she works to restore hope around the world by empowering kids and their families to break the cycle of extreme poverty. She has been instrumental in helping impoverished countries to build wells that provide water where they would otherwise have to travel miles to find.

MENTORSHIP MATTERS

It is crucial to make connections with others in your field before you graduate. According to the Leeds School of Business at the University of Boulder Colorado, forty percent of students who attended a career mentoring program experienced a forty percent increase in job placement after graduation.

Mentors help provide an insider’s perspective to the field that you are interested in. You can read the job description, but the only way of finding out the true reality of a position is by speaking with an insider. A mentor has already gone through all the stages in the career chain, so they may provide you with some advice.

Be sure to follow @hercampusgcu and @gcu_multicultural on Instagram for more information and updates for the upcoming event. We would love to see you at the event to help expand your professional network.

Lauren is a Professional Writing student and Head Editor of the Her Campus chapter at Grand Canyon University. Growing up with a vivid imagination, she always knew she was destined to be a writer. Through writing, she hopes to write for theme parks or fashion magazines. Lauren spends her free time exploring new cities, discovering new gluten-free restaurants, and watching the latest Netflix original TV series.