GCU Students’ Must Haves at Friendsgiving

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

The Fall season has officially just begun! With Halloween and Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) just passing, Thanksgiving is just days away. Many of us will be going home for Thanksgiving break, but some students on campus won’t have that opportunity. While Thanksgiving is usually spent with family, Friendsgiving is a version of that celebration held with friends with yummy food and the perfect fall vibes. People have been hosting Friendsgiving parties for decades. I always remember getting invited to friends’ houses that I knew from sports teams when I was younger. Friendsgiving is the perfect get-together for this holiday! It is a must-have get-together with your closest friends here on campus. Fun times, joyous laughter, and delicious food is the best way to celebrate Thanksgiving. 

The perfect Friendsgiving is filled with different Thanksgiving dishes. Whether it is different variations, your own spin on a favorite meal, or a classic Thanksgiving dish, these meals will be the talk of your Friendsgiving. We gathered information from a number of GCU students through an Instagram poll and on-campus interviews to determine their favorite Thanksgiving foods. If you or someone you know is planning a Friendsgiving this year, these are the top dishes GCU students want to see at your get-togethers!

1. Mashed Potatoes

Over 60% percent of students were overjoyed with their favorite Thanksgiving meal! Mashed potatoes are a quick and delicious dish that needs to be added to your Friendsgiving table. The creamy rich flavor of mashed potatoes is a perfect pair to any other dish you serve. With few ingredients, this dish takes little to no effort to make and will wow your guests! Mashed potatoes topped with some chives and garlic salt just sounds so delicious and savory. 

2. Mac and Cheese

This crowd favorite is also a super easy dish to make and pairs great with mashed potatoes! As it only takes an hour of your time, this is a must-have meal for any Friendsgiving party. The cheesy goodness and mouth-watering flavor will amaze your guests and bring together your dinner table, leaving your guests full and very happy! In my opinion, the best Friendsgiving mac and cheese is filled with love and topped with crispy bread crumbs. 

3. Stuffing

Over 20% of students voted that they need to see this food at Friendsgiving! Stuffing is a Friendsgiving essential, and it adds incredible flavor and texture to all the other dishes. It’s a delicious blend of bread, herbs, and spices that complements the turkey (or the preferred meat at your gathering) perfectly. Plus, it’s a comforting and nostalgic dish that brings everyone together around the table. Trust me, you won’t want to miss out on the savory goodness of stuffing this Friendsgiving!

4. Desserts

The other 20% had to see delicious desserts at the table this year. Some amazing desserts that will get your dinner party started are cranberry sauce, marshmallow yams, and pie!

Your Friendsgiving dishes would not be complete without cranberry sauce, which provides a tart and sweet burst that balances the meal’s savory elements. It’s a traditional side dish with turkey that improves the flavor profile. Additionally, the rich red hue gives the plate a festive feel. I promise you will enjoy the taste combination of cranberry sauce with your Thanksgiving meal! 

Marshmallow yams are a Friendsgiving staple that adds a delicious balance of sweetness and richness to any meal. The soft yams are wonderfully complemented by the delightfully caramelized crust made of the gooey marshmallows on top. This dessert is a crowd-pleaser that will have everyone coming back for seconds! 

Who doesn’t love pie? While there are many different kinds of pies that are traditionally brought to Thanksgiving dinner, the crowd favorites this year are pumpkin and apple pie. Thanksgiving staples like pumpkin and apple pie provide the ideal balance of flavors and nostalgia. Fall is best represented by the warm spices of pumpkin pie and the sweet-tartness of apple pie. The ultimate comfort treat that sweetens the Thanksgiving feast is a slice of pie topped with a dollop of whipped cream. 

I am seventeen years old and I am a Junior at Grand Canyon University. I am a Justice Studies major with a minor in pre-law. I am a first generation college student and I will be graduating with my bachelor's degree in the Fall of 2024 and then heading off to Law school! My career goal is to be an immigration lawyer (I will always be a writer at heart). Some Fun facts about me are: My zodiac sign is an Aries (Selena is my birthday twin). I cannot get enough of my Great Dane, Slasher (He was adopted on Friday the 13th). I am obsessed with Halloween and all things spooky (horror movies have my heart). I enjoy tons of music genres like rock, metal, R&B, and rock en español. I am a second generation latina (unfortunately a no sabo kid). I love capturing nature and sunsets through photography. I also love editing pictures to put my own twist on photography ideas that have been done time and time again. Working out is also a huge thing for me, I love it with my whole heart.