self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

The Framework of Personality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

There is an abundance of personality tests in the world today. There are so many different types of quizzes and questionnaires, you can’t even scroll through your twitter feed without buzzfeed telling you what Disney villain you are or what US president best matches your sense of humor. But why is there such a demand for so many different types of quizzes that can help people identify their personality? I believe that, like myself, there are so many people desperately trying to understand who they really are and they have no idea where to start. 

Trust me, I know, it seems impossible to really get to know yourself. I mean you may know some surface level things about yourself, like what your favorite color is, what you enjoy watching on Hulu, or if you’re a cat person or a dog person. But once you get past all of that, who are you? What gives you joy? What are your goals and aspirations for your life? How do you enjoy spending your time? What do you want someone to say about you as they give your eulogy one day? It can seem overwhelming. These questions are daunting, and the answer seems impossible to find. You’re not alone. Most people have no idea who they are, and I truly believe this is one of the main reasons people struggle to find joy.

I felt this way for so long. I didn’t really know anything about myself. I knew everything about all my family and all my friends, but I knew nothing when it came to who I was or what I valued. If I can be honest, I think a lot of people are scared to explore who they are, because they are scared that if they dig, they may not like what they find. But let me be the first to tell you, once you know who you are and what makes you, you, you are able to truly honor yourself, and you’ll have a whole lot less disappointment in your life, because you won’t have to put up with things that don’t bring you joy. Once you know what makes up the framework of your personality, you’ll be able to understand why you love what you love and what has made you who you are. 

There are a few tests that do an excellent job at giving insight into the process of your mind but two of my favorites are the Myers-Briggs and the Enneagram. I believe the Enneagram is an extremely accurate measure of a person’s desires and fears, however I believe the Myers Briggs is made up of components that give a person a better understanding of who they really are. 

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

Knowing if you are an introvert or an extrovert will help you understand where you look before you respond to the world. Introverts look inward so they take more time to process their response, while extroverts respond to the world before they take the time to look inward. 

Are you a sensor or intuitive? 

The difference between a sensor and an intuitive person, is how they like to think about concepts and ideas. They enjoy processes and being given information to use. A sensor focuses on the facts and real life experiences. An intuitive likes to think more abstractly. They usually are ideal people and enjoy creating theories and stories. 

Are you a thinker or a feeler?

Feelers and Thinkers are vastly different in how they handle situations. Feelers use their gut to make decisions. They like to “step in” to situations so they can understand the personal implications rather than the logical solution. Thinkers step out of situations so they can look at it objectively and avoid getting emotionally confused. 

Are you a judger or a perceiver? 

Judgers organize and schedule their lives to avoid any uncertainty that may come about. Perceivers are different in that they enjoy being flexible and don’t thrive on structure. 

These categories are excellent starting steps to understanding what makes you who you are and once you understand who you are, you can learn how to take care of yourself and how to build a life that you genuinely enjoy living. 

A sophomore Behavioral Health Science major at GCU with a passion for new experiences, binge-watching Netflix, sunsets, finding new ways to be creative, and serving God in everything I do.