Life > Experiences

Four Ways to Get Involved with Volunteering

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Acts of kindness are linked to feelings of joy. It may also strengthen support networks, encourage increased activity, and boost self-esteem, according to mentalhealth.org. If you want to get real-life experience related to your major and future career, volunteering is a prime choice for many students. It also looks great on a resume. This is easier said than done, so here are four tips while looking for places to serve.

Exploring Opportunities

Some universities may have local outreach programs for students to help the surrounding community. Visiting on-campus promotional events, looking out for flyers, or talking to students who are currently involved are several ways to start actively volunteering. Looking online is another option too, but I’ve found that directly calling a nonprofit or organization is more effective than just sending an email.

Finding the Right Fit

There are always plenty of options to explore. Volunteering positions do not have to be strictly aligned with your current major or career you want. I volunteer at a retirement home even though I want to be a writer. Let’s say you’re an educational major: why not volunteer with kids or teens? If you’re any sort of STEM major, perhaps tutoring or volunteering at a museum or library? If you can’t think of anything, no problem. Here is a search platform for local volunteering opportunities across the nation.

Changing Directions

If you try out a volunteering opportunity and don’t prefer it, that’s completely normal. I have switched between several positions because I wanted to find a place where it brought me joy to serve. That’s the beauty of volunteering; you’re not locked into a position. You can switch around and create your own schedule. Although it is tiring to look for places to volunteer, it may be worthwhile once you’ve found one you truly enjoy.

Using Your Experience

While volunteering, it is helpful to take a mental note of the kinds of activities you could see yourself doing in your future career. Maybe it’s working with certain populations or groups, or promoting specific initiatives. When you list your volunteering experience on your resume or portfolio, you can discuss with potential employers what you value most through volunteering. Mentioning the skills you’ve learned may strengthen your competitiveness as well.

One more thing: take it easy. Try not to juggle several different volunteering positions at once, because you’ll want to focus your energy and efforts on one thing at a time. That way, you’ll be able to truly discern if you wish to stick with or switch to another position. Starting small, even if it’s volunteering once a week for a couple of hours (which I do), is great.

That’s it. Find a place that strengthens your skill set and brings you joy. Volunteering has given me the chance to meet a lot of people, which is a good thing. I would have never met some of my friends or had the chance to play Just Dance with residents at a retirement home. Why not give it a try?

Emily is a Professional Writing major at GCU. She is expected to graduate with her bachelor's degree in Spring 2024. She loves writing about the environment, history and self-care. Her interests include anything with glitter, playing video games, slamming out tunes on the piano and lying down on grass in the summer.