Feeling Sleepy? Time to Excite Your Energy!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Going into my first semester of college I decided to take 7:00 am classes. I thought it would be an easy adjustment since throughout high school I had classes start at 6:20 am and my job has me work at 4:45 am a few times a week. However, I quickly learned that trying to adjust to all of those extra days or not being able to sleep in took a toll on myself and my energy levels. I am still trying to figure it out, but here are some tips I’ve found so far to help me boost my energy in the early mornings.

Caffeine

It’s no secret that caffeine is a lifesaver when trying to wake up in the mornings. From a nice warm cup of coffee to chugging 10 energy drinks before 9:00 am, each person has their own taste preference. The good thing about caffeine is there are so many options you can get, so you’re not restricted to one drink. Your favorite is out there- you just have to find it! 

Exercise

Getting your body moving can be a great way to boost energy. I know when I am at work in the early mornings, I like to stand instead of sitting down. This helps me focus more on being alert and active, as opposed to feeling sleepy. Another way of exercise can include getting an early morning workout in! Getting up, moving your body, and getting the reps in can be nice to start your day and make sure you are alert and focused.

Listen to music

Listening to a loud, upbeat song can be helpful when getting up and trying to wake up. Happy, positive, groovy songs can put you in a good mood to be ready and excited to start the day! It’ll also help you not fall back asleep- especially if you like rock music.

Let the Light in

Nothing is worse than trying to wake up in a dark room. Opening your curtains, window, screen door- whatever it is, can be so helpful to boost your energy and spark that morning wakeup process. If you have to get up and the sun isn’t out yet, turning on a bright light can trick your brain into waking up. 

156278 0009
ABC

Connection

I live at home, and at home I have my three dogs. They always seem to have energy even at 5:00 am, which I do not understand. I love to go out and play with them for a few minutes in the mornings. This helps me wake up and be more alert, plus I get to spend some time with them. If you don’t have any pets, simply talking to your roommate or calling someone you love can be perfect for waking up. Even if it’s 5:00 am, they won’t mind…well, maybe.

I hope that these tips work for you, as they do for me. While it is tempting to lay in bed and hit snooze on the alarm, you will feel even better getting up and conquering the world- one girl boss at a time.