This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

What we eat negatively influences our environment. A recent study from the University of California, Los Angeles found that American, paleo, and keto diets have higher carbon footprints than Mediterranean, vegan, and climatarian diets. Carbon footprints are the total amount of greenhouse gases people produce through different activities. This includes burning energy like gas or oil.

The difference in emissions lies with food consumption: diets with high carbon footprints have more fat and meat, while low-carbon footprint diets are linked to less processed food and meat. Diets that rely on high-carbon foods increase greenhouse gas emissions, which continue to blanket the Earth and trap the sun’s heat. Ruminant livestock (like sheep and cows) directly contribute to 37 percent of United States methane emissions, a greenhouse gas that has 28 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide.

I spoke with Kiera Dixon, a co-author of the study and an environmental sciences graduate student from UCLA, regarding her research. Although specific diets may increase carbon footprints, she claims it’s not straightforward; “A surprising finding from our study is that you can still eat meat and have a relatively low impact on the environment. It’s not an all-or-nothing, black-and-white kind of thing. You can still eat your fish and chicken, occasionally beef and pork, and still have a low carbon footprint.”

The standard American diet has high negative impacts on the environment. Foods in this diet usually consist of saturated fats, added sugars, and synthetic oils. Highly processed foods require an absurd amount of fossil fuel energy to meet buyer demands. The diet also prioritizes meat and dairy, which have the most greenhouse gas emissions.

If you have no idea what the climatarian diet is, you aren’t alone. I didn’t either until Dixon explained it. Basically, it focuses on eating local and seasonal foods that are not processed. It also stresses eating less red meat and only occasionally eating pork, chicken, and fish. This diet serves as a lax guideline rather than a strict set of rules. However, the high costs and inconveniences of buying sustainable food may not be accessible for some (like many of us college students).

Veganism is typically low in fat and protein but high in carbs. Higher consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables decreases carbon footprints compared to other diets. Studies haven’t agreed on the nutritional soundness of diets that may limit easy access to essential nutrients, like veganism. It is suggested that a detailed meal plan can overcome health barriers to make the diet sustainable in the long term.

As Dixon puts it, “One may say, ‘Oh, just go vegan’ which is not very realistic or sustainable for many people. I think it’s a lot more effective to encourage people to eat high [carbon] impact food items in moderation.”

The study concludes that occasionally eating meats such as pork, chicken, and fish and investing in local fruits and vegetables does not significantly affect our planet’s carbon footprint. The old saying strikes again: moderation is key.

Emily is a Professional Writing major at GCU. She is expected to graduate with her bachelor's degree in Spring 2024. She loves writing about the environment, history and self-care. Her interests include anything with glitter, playing video games, slamming out tunes on the piano and lying down on grass in the summer.