This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

The role of women has drastically changed over the last hundred years. We have become dream pursuers. As I sit here writing to you, while studying something I love in college, it made me think about all the women who came before us that allowed our dreams to come true, women like Amelia Earhart, Rosa Parks, and Frida Tubman. This also brought thoughts about women who pursued their dreams in the field I wish to excel in one day. Some of which are, Jane Austen, Emily Dickenson, and Mary Shelly. These women decided that they loved writing and they weren’t going to let anyone tell them that they couldn’t do it.

I have loved Jane Austen since I was in middle school. Since she is a role model and has been branded one of the most influential writers of her time, I did some research on this interesting woman. A few things I found were that she was never married. This seems shocking I know, a romance novelist who never found love.  Although she was engaged once for about twenty minutes before she broke it off for unknown reasons. Maybe her standards were just too high and so she had to create the men she wished for in her life. She had an older brother who thought the world of her and did all her publishing, believing in her from the start. Like most authors, her books weren’t very popular during her lifetime, but they became popular after her death. She didn’t really like dances, which I always found fascinating because there are quite a few of those in each of her works. What’s most interesting is you can visit her home in London where she did all her writing. It is a small cottage and the desk she wrote at was a tiny tea table. I think that’s what’s so inspiring to me as a wannabe novelist is that something so beautiful and enriching came from something so small. Even though it was small it still lives on today through a vast majority of people.

Since it is women’s history month, I want to remind all of you bright-eyed college students that you can achieve your dreams if you set your mind to it. Try and think of the women you inspire to be most and realize what they had to do to get to where they wanted to be. Do you think that Amelia Earhart didn’t have people ridiculing her about flying a plane? How about Rosa Parks when she wouldn’t get up from her seat? Remember that God has you where He wants you and that your dreams should not be placed on the back burner. Believe in yourself! Then take the plunge.

My name is Lauren Kohut and I am from Colorado Springs. I love all things written. When I am not writing, I am reading or hiking through a backwoods trail in the Colorado mountains and the Arizona foothills. I am a wannabe country girl and if I could I would spend all my Saturdays on a dirt road blasting Scotty McCreery. I love to write and am super excited to be writing for HerCampus!