Competitive Gaming Is Growing Among College Girls: Here’s How You Can Join

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

In 2014, the first varsity-level college esports program was established. Ten years later, hundreds of collegiate esports teams, including Grand Canyon University’s Esports team, are thriving more than ever. Despite this, there are still few programs geared toward women in esports. The gaming industry has been continuously male-dominated, both in terms of developers and players. However, there is a growing number of women passionate about esports who deserve the same opportunities to compete and play at a professional level. Women bring unique perspectives, creativity, and talents that can contribute greatly to the gaming landscape, and it is important for them to have their own shared spaces.

GCU Esports is one major program that realized women who share a passion for gaming were not getting the spotlight or platform they deserved. Just a few years ago, only one girl tried out to be on one of GCU’s scholarship esports teams. Since the program began its women-oriented events and teams, the program’s membership has surged from 1% female to 22% in a matter of a few semesters, and there is now one scholarship team devoted to women and marginalized genders. All of this progress started with one original event, Women Wednesday, which was created by the school’s esports team to draw more women into the community.

This February will mark the second anniversary of the start of Women Wednesday – a monthly event created to provide a safe and welcoming environment for women in the community, whether they come with years of experience in gaming or none at all. Held by students, for students, Women Wednesday is a great opportunity to socialize with other girls who share a passion for gaming.

Each meeting consists of free snacks and drinks, fun activities, free gaming time, a guest speaker and Q+A session, and discussions about what members would like to see in the esports program. Women Wednesday also creates the perfect atmosphere for those who are curious about gaming and want to try it out in a friendly environment. Girls get to choose to play individually or together on any of the facility’s unlimited games.

Those who would like to step it up from the monthly event can take part in other women-focused events like Ladies Lounge, a similar more laid-back version of Women Wednesday, or try out for GCU’s all-women’s Valorant team, as well as one of the nation’s first female-only collegiate Valorant tournaments, which is now going on its second year. Those who just like to play for fun have the opportunity to come play at any time during the facility’s hours.

Gaming should be for everyone! Even though many college girls may think that gaming is not something they’d be interested in, they may be surprised to find out there’s much more to it than meets the eye! Joining the gaming community can provide great friendships and new skills. Additionally, women in gaming can serve as role models, inspiring the next generation of female gamers and developers. Representation matters, and seeing successful women in various roles within the gaming industry can encourage young girls to pursue their interests in gaming, technology, and STEM fields.

Gracie a freshman Professional Writing major from Grand Canyon University. When she is not spending her evening watching glee with her roommate and eating chocolate covered frozen fruit, she's working on her writing. Gracie also enjoys exploring new places, thrifting, basking in the sun, and listening to music.