This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

“I could never do that.” “What do you even eat?” “I love meat way too much.” These are all things I hear on a daily when someone new finds out I am vegan. Have I had meat before? Yes. Do I miss dairy? Sometimes. What will happen if I eat meat or dairy? Nothing – might get a stomach ache, but I won’t explode. For the past four years of my life, I have refrained from eating meat and dairy; and honestly, my life has been amazing. 

Veganism in 2019

In 2019, it has become apparent that veganism is a growing trend that has its foothold in various aspects of society. From the health and fitness nich, to social media influencers, animal rights activists, and even people who are looking to shake up the way they eat have hopped on the veganism train. If you walk down any aisle in the grocery store you are bound to find some kind of plant-based substitute or dairy-free option. Veganism is an upcoming lifestyle that is making its way into everyday life. Elaborating on the rise of veganism, Rich Hardy, Head of Campaigns at Veganuary, said, “Put simply – visibility! No longer a counter-culture, ‘vegan’ is now a word we see and hear everywhere – in shops and restaurants, in people’s conversations on the streets, and in newspapers and magazines. It’s not hype or a short-term trend.” 

Social Events

One of the biggest inconveniences of being vegan (if you would like to call it that) is going out to eat socially. Heading to Chick-fil-a? Sorry just french fries. In the mood for ice cream or frozen yogurt? Got to pass. Hungry for tasty breakfast food like waffles or pancakes? Hopefully, you like oatmeal! In the early 2010s eating out as a vegan use to be a whole affair: calling the restaurant to see if they had any available options, double-checking to make sure the meal you ordered is actually dairy-free, and seeming needy and annoying to your server. However, nowadays, vegan options are everywhere! Which is extremely convenient for all the vegans in the United States. Now vegans can go out to fast-food restaurants like Carls Jr. and enjoy a vegan burger or order from Chipotle and have some sofritas. Moreover, there are also sit down restaurants like the Cheesecake Factory, Yard House, or PF Chang’s that now cater to vegans. No more convincing your friends to go to an all-vegan restaurant where the only option is bunny food. Thanks to mainstream veganism, being vegan just became that much easier. 

https://www.nrn.com/fast-casual/cheesecake-factory-tests-smaller-footprint-latest-opening

Why I am Vegan

Although veganism does not sound like the most thrilling lifestyle in the world, I would not change it for the world. Originally, I choose to be vegan for the reasons most people turn to veganism: to be healthier and look fitter. However, it has shifted to be so much more than that. Every morning I wake up and choose to maintain this diet because of the way it makes me feel. I chose to be vegan because of the confidence I gain from it vegan every day I continue. I am proud to say I have been vegan for four years, and I am also proud to say I have the willpower to do so. Practicing restraint, and limiting my intake of meat and dairy, I know I have an enormous amount of willpower I can pull upon when I need it. Furthermore, through my years of veganism, I am proud to say I am able to be devoted and steadfast to all my commitments. 

Hello! My name is Kayla West and I am a freshman at Grand Canyon University. Go class of 2023! I am majoring in Communications and hoping to find a career path while I am studying here at GCU. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California where I very much enjoyed the weather, beach, and Disneyland!! My passions include traveling, reading, planning, and of course, writing! I hope my writing can be relatable for people who are feeling distant, funny for people who are feeling down, uplifting for those disappointing days, and real for those longing for something genuine.