Are You on BookTok? What It Is, and Why You Need to Be a Part of It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

With one billion active users each month, TikTok is the newest and coolest social media platform to date. With influencers and accounts ranging from makeup and clothing hauls, cooking and organizational videos, music, and dancing, to travel and business, there is something for everyone on this app. There is even a side for people like me, whose favorite thing to do is read books and then talk about them. If you are a booklover (of any genre) then you are probably on BookTok. And if you’re not, then you need to be. Here’s why.

If you are anything like me, you love to spend your free time with a good book. But what happens when that book makes you feel things in your soul that you didn’t think were possible, and none of your friends are readers? This is where BookTok comes in handy. There are thousands of accounts solely dedicated to book recommendations, reading vlogs, and reviews of the best books on the market right now. There is no better place to find emotional support (and reading besties) than BookTok.

Now you might be wondering, “how do I get on BookTok?”. Great question. The TikTok algorithm is one that cannot be explained, but there are definitely ways for you to attract book lovers and booktockers to your FYP.

Searching for your favorite books or book recommendations and liking those videos can help your account get flagged for liking those types of videos. Another tip is to follow the accounts that post those videos and follow the booktockers they follow!

Whether you like mystery, romance, fantasy, or non-fiction, there is a place on BookTok for you. It’s a community for those who need friends, people to talk to, and people to bond with over some of your favorite things. Social media is truly a magical place for learning, connection, and confidence. Trying new things and finding others who have the same passions as you can be so important for your quality of life.

So, if books are your thing, then run (don’t walk) to BookTok!

Hi! My name is Megan Stobie and I am a junior in the BA Professional Writing program at GCU. I am from the small town of Orting, Washington and I love to write!