A Senior’s Master Guide To Navigating Freshman Year At GCU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

As you stepped onto the Grand Canyon University campus for the very first time during this year’s Welcome Week, you probably experienced a whirlwind of emotions. You’re leaving behind your home, your family, your friends, and everything you’ve known so far to take your first steps into adulthood. For some, this change is exciting, while for others, it’s terrifying. Many can say they have experienced both of these feelings at the same time as they began their college journey. Though entering this new chapter in your life can be daunting, you are not alone. Countless individuals, just like you, have gone through this exact situation just to come out of it stronger and more resilient than ever. As you begin your time at GCU, here are my best pieces of advice to make the most of your freshman year.

Friendship Advice

Meet the people who live in your hall

One of the best ways to make friends is by meeting people who live close to you since these are the people you are most likely to see often. Forced proximity is one of the easiest ways to get to know someone, so make sure you are open to bumping into your neighbors. Here are some of the best ways to orchestrate a casual run-in with people in your hall:

• Keep your door open. This invites people into your space and shows that you are open to saying hi and striking up a conversation. Once you make friends with people on your floor later on, seeing your door open might prompt them to come in and say hi to you.
  • Start conversations with people in the elevators. This is a great tip for introverts because you don’t have to worry about figuring out a way to leave the conversation, only a way to keep it going for the short amount of time you’re in the elevator. Keep a mental list of questions to ask people in the elevator (these can be regular questions or silly questions, whichever you enjoy the most!).
  • Go to your floor’s community gatherings and life group. Both of these events are geared towards meeting people in your hall and building community with each other, so you can walk in knowing that everyone there wants to make friends just like you do.
  • Introduce yourself to your RA. Usually, RAs are upperclassmen who know quite a bit about campus life and would love to help you with anything you need. Getting to know your RA is an easy way to make at least one friend, and it opens the door for you to ask for help from someone you’re comfortable with when you need it.

Go to as many school events as possible

GCU does a great job at hosting many events that can bring students together, from major campus events, to smaller gatherings, and even sporting events. All of these events are geared towards helping you make new friends and strengthen existing friendships while also having fun. There are also hundreds of clubs on campus that you can join, which is another great way to meet people who share similar interests. Don’t be afraid to go to events or join clubs alone, but also make sure to ask people you’ve met if they would like to go with you.

Study with friends

As the semester goes on, it can get hard to find the time in your schedule to spend with friends. If you have a lot of studying to do, you don’t have to always lock yourself in your room and do it alone. As long as you are able to stay focused, asking friends to study with you can be a great way to spend some time together while still allowing you to be productive. Plus, it gives you an opportunity to take quick study breaks to chat or grab a meal together, which can give you a much-needed energy boost to keep working.

Maintain your friendships from home

You’ve probably parted ways with most of your friends from high school, and they probably miss you just as much as you miss them. Schedule times with your old friends to call or FaceTime and catch up about your new lives at college, and when you get home for the summer you will be able to pick up right where you left off.

Professional advice

Introduce yourself to your professors

Professors are one of the most valuable resources for career and professional help available on campus. They are here with the goal of helping you, and most are willing to go above and beyond for you if they have had a chance to get to know you personally. Most professors at GCU have significant industry experience, so it will be especially beneficial for you to get to know professors who teach subjects you may be interested in a career in. These professors can tell you more about the field, offer career and professional development advice, and even potentially recommend you for jobs and internships they know of.

Learn how to use LinkedIn

LinkedIn is one of the most popular job-hunting websites, and for good reason. If you have an updated profile on LinkedIn, employers are often more likely to hire you. There are plenty of resources available at GCU to help you create your profile, most notably the ACE Center. Make sure you also spend some time exploring the job board on LinkedIn to find what positions are available in your industry, what companies are hiring, and what skills or certifications you may need to work on to end up with the position you want. 

Go to networking events

GCU hosts countless networking events and job fairs to help students connect with potential employers. Attend as many as possible, because even if you ultimately aren’t interested in any of the companies there, the practice you get in talking with each employer will prepare you for when you potentially get the opportunity to speak with someone from your dream company. Also, the professionals you meet at these events change companies all the time, and if you connect with them on LinkedIn after having a conversation with them, you may be able to reach out to them later on for help if you see them in a position at a company you would like to work for.

Self-care Advice

Call your parents

Your parents probably miss you. Have you ever experienced a loved one going away on vacation and leaving you at home to temporarily live your everyday life without them? This is likely what your parents are feeling because while you are away in a new place getting to experience new things, they are living the same everyday life they always have but with you now missing. It can be really hard for some parents when their kids leave home to begin a life on their own, and while it is important that you set healthy boundaries to help you gain a sense of independence in your time away, it can help them (and you!) in this transition for you to give them a call to catch up every now and then.

Go outside

It’s easy when you’re busy with schoolwork to stay inside for hours or even days at a time, but sunlight and exercise are vital for your mental health. Make sure to take some time outside at least once a day to keep yourself feeling energized and refreshed.

Eat as healthy as possible

The freshman 15 is a real thing, especially with the food options available on campus. While gaining weight is not always a bad thing, especially as you are growing into your adult body, eating healthy is extremely beneficial for both your physical and mental health. It is ok if you aren’t able to eat healthy all the time, but when you are able to, look for balanced meal options and keep healthy snacks on hand.

Prioritize what makes you feel fulfilled

With so many opportunities available on campus, it can be easy to overbook yourself. It’s important to keep your schedule manageable because if you are feeling overworked you won’t be effective in anything you do. When choosing what to prioritize, make sure the activities you are doing are things that feel fulfilling to you, so that even when life gets hard you have something you can look forward to that you know will give you the necessary boost to keep going.

Learn as much as you can about yourself

College is likely the first time in your life that you are truly on your own and away from the things that influenced you growing up. You will probably be spending more time with yourself now than you ever have before, which means you will be getting to know yourself deeply. Take the time to learn who you are, what you love about yourself, what you may need to work on, what your tendencies are, and what your needs are. The first step to living a healthy life is having a healthy relationship with and understanding of yourself. This is the perfect time for you to grow as an individual because there are so many opportunities at GCU for you to learn about yourself and find what you really love. 

Remember: college is hard, but just like everything in life, you will make it through. Ultimately, all you need to do is to keep yourself healthy, fulfilled, and making progress towards your goals. Welcome to GCU, you’re going to have a great year!

Hey! I'm Kimberlin, and I'm the Head Editor of HCGCU. I'm a senior studying accounting with a minor in psychology. I love reading, fashion, music, and learning new things, but my favorite thing to do is spend time with my closest friends!