Wellness > Sex + Relationships

6 Ways to Spend Valentine’s Day with Your Significant Other While Being Safe This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

There is no doubt that this last year has been a tough year for everyone. Over time, people have had to adapt to the new ways of living due to COVID-19. It is on everyone to do their part to maintain everyone’s safety and social distance to slow the spread. Although February is a typical day where everyone goes out, at a time like this, it is not advised to do so, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a fun-loving day with your spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend, or even with friends.  

1. Baking 

One way to have fun is baking! You and someone else can both pair up and really have some fun getting creative. This is a way to stay home whilst creating great memories! Bake a cake in the shape of a heart, kneading dough, frosting cupcakes, and so much more. Baking can also make your house smell so good and help you unwind. Decorating whatever you baked is the best part. Each of you can choose a side and decorate it with pink sprinkles, candy hearts, and draw in little hearts along the frosting. Sharing that moment in the kitchen can be magical and most importantly share a delightful treat with your significant other once it is done. All you “knead” is love. 

2. Go on a Picnic

A picnic can be a great way to enjoy Valentine’s day with your sweetheart or friends. It is casual and gives you the opportunity to spend quality time with your date while avoiding the harmful virus and maintaining social distancing. You can choose to sit outside in a spacious area such as the park, beach, or even in your front yard. Grab a blanket, some snacks and food, drinks, and desserts. Spread out the blanket and layout everything along with some pillows to be comfortable. Share chocolate covered strawberries along with some wine or any drink of your choice. Bonus, if you bring along a charcuterie board. Enjoy each other’s company and the scenery, as you relax and eat some delicious foods along with tasty drinks. 

charcuterie board with fruit and cheese
Photo by Kate Hliznitsova from Unsplash

3. Photoshoot 

Everyone loves a reason to get all dolled up and take pictures. Whether it be at a local park or even creating a backdrop in your home, have a photoshoot! Get some cheap supplies from the Dollar store and get some pink or red heart-shaped balloons along with some streamers to go with the theme of Valentines to create a beautiful background for your pictures. Wear that pink dress or red skirt, along with some cute heels. Do your makeup, with those new lashes you just got. Curl your hair or do that hairstyle you’ve been wanting to try. Get all glammed up and take those cute pics! Take individual ones and then take some with your partner in crime. An extra perk will be having those pictures to look back on.

4. Movie Night

Grab a bucket of popcorn and binge-watch your favorite RomComs. Cuddle up on the couch and have a few laughs or shed a couple of tears. There are so many streaming services that are available that offer a variety of movies to choose from. Why leave your home when you have it all available at your fingertips. Some RomComs suggestions that should be watched this Valentine’s Day such as 50 First Dates, Blended, The Book of Life, Silver Linings Playbook, Bridesmaids, and so much more. 

5. Star Gazing

If you are busy during the day, don’t worry! Valentine’s Day doesn’t end then. Spend the evening with a loved one by planning to gaze at the stars. Grab a couple of chairs or blankets and go outside. While sharing a sweet moment with your amore and enjoy some wine or drinks. You can also write love letters to one another while staring at the stars. Enjoy a night under the beautiful sparkling sky and explore the wonders of the universe. Point out planets, stars, and constellations while being with your loved ones.

6. Make a Scrapbook of Your Relationship

Another creative way to spend time with one another is to do crafts. You can choose to do this in your room, kitchen or your living room. One great craft is creating a scrapbook of your past memories with your significant other. Gather up photos of one another, old movie tickets, or receipts from activities you both did. You can decorate using glitter, stickers, markers, etc. To be more creative, you can even make pop up diagrams within the book. Both of you can even write little notes on the side of pictures or draw little pictures.   

Valentine’s Day should be celebrated to show the love between one another. Although there are still some obstacles being thrown at everyone this year, people still should be safe and smart. So have an amazing day with your loved one while doing your part to stay safe during this pandemic.

Lopes Up! Spread kindness wherever you go Instagram: bihsierraaa