6 Greek Mythological Retellings to Fill the ‘Percy Jackson’ Void

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you devoured the Percy Jackson and the Olympians television show like no other. Rick Riordan’s interconnected book series surrounding lush, violent, and mostly kid-friendly Greek mythology has been one of the most popular series of all time, and for good reason. If you find yourself new to the world of Greek myth fiction, or have fallen in love with the Greek myths all over again like me, then here are six books to read as we wait for PJO season 2. 

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

This book tells the story of Achilles, the son of the sea goddess Thetis and King Peleus, and Patroclus, an exiled prince. The two young lovers find themselves drawn together by simple chance, training together and growing closer. Achilles joins the Greek heroes with the goal of laying siege to Troy and retrieving Helen of Sparta, with Patroclus tailing after him. The Song of Achilles is a beautiful retelling with creative liberty taken to show life, grief, and love between unlikely close friends. Miller’s writing is elegant and moving, and readers are sure to enjoy it. 

Circe by Madeline Miller

Another book by Madeline Miller, Circe follows the title character from birth, through the house of her father, Helios, and her banishment to a deserted island for thousands of years. Circe experiences a lack of familial love, partnership, and true love, taking everything the world throws at her only to emerge stronger. This book evokes strong feelings of care and grief as readers sympathize and root for this lonely female goddess through her journey. 

Ariadne by Jennifer Saint

Ariadne tells the story of the princess of Crete, sister of the Minotaur and daughter to Minos and Pasiphaë, as she falls in love with the prospect of escaping her life and moving on. Similar to Circe, Ariadne experiences love, longing, betrayal, and defiance, and as a lesser-known character in Greek mythology, the story is consuming. Ariadne crosses paths with Dionysus, the god of wine, in this story, which makes for a page-turning plot.

Elektra by Jennifer Saint

This book tells the story of three women: Clytemnestra, the sister of Helen and wife to Agamemnon; Cassandra, a seer and princess of Troy; and Elektra, the daughter of Clytemnestra. The three women of myth are part of a cursed House and bloodline, bound to a life of violence and war between gods and men. This book is great for readers interested in the fallout from the Trojan War. 

Lore by Alexandra Bracken

This tale is ambitious and modern, telling the story of a girl named Lore, whose parents have been brutally murdered, and she now resides in New York City. In this imaginative book, nine of the Greek gods walk the earth as mortals as punishment for rebellion, all while being hunted by enemies for their power. Lore is allied with a wounded Athena to bring down a mutual enemy, starting a harrowing journey to battle an old foe-turned-god with a dark power. 

Stone Blind by Natalie Haynes

Stone Blind is a retelling of the tragic story of Medusa, a woman turned into a monster everyone has heard of. Thought to be a cold-hearted and cruel villain with evil intentions, the story takes it upon itself to soften your heart to Medusa’s sad tale, bringing nuance to a once simple story. The book goes into the lives of multiple characters’ points of view to tie their stories into Medusa’s, all while the petty gods try to outdo one another.

Rebecca enjoys talking about niche pop culture topics that make her laugh. She tends to think she's pretty funny. When she's not scouring the internet for a few laughs, she's reading a fantasy book, or writing stories. She loves drinking coffee and tea, and is working on a Behavioral Health Science degree.