5 Skin Care Products for an Everyday Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

It’s November now, and as Jon Snow would say: Winter is coming. If you don’t already have an everyday skin care routine, you should identify your skin type and create one. Having a skin care routine is extremely beneficial.  No matter how your age, everyone should take care of their skin. Most routines take no longer than fifteen minutes and often leave you feeling refreshed and ready to take on your day.

If you’re a beginner, or simply uninformed on what to use in your skincare routine, below is 5 must-have items for a basic skin care routine.

1. A Good Cleanser

A good cleanser is essential for every skincare routine. How can you properly take care of your skin without cleansing it correctly? If you’re a complete beginner with skincare, I recommend starting with a cleanser that is meant for your skin.

Skin Types: For those with dry skin, consider a cleanser that is more moisturizing and not so foam-based. If your skin is sensitive, avoid cleansers with fragrances, acids, and other ingredients that may be harsh on your skin. If you have dry skin, check out this CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser. This product is great when cleansing and moisturizing skin. As a bonus, it’s known to help with acne as well!

Those with oily skin may stick to foaming cleansers, because foaming cleansers tend to be a bit more drying than others. For all my oily-skin girls, this  Zero Oil Deep Pore Cleanser from Origins is for you. This thick, foaming cleanser will make your cleansing experience great, as this is known to rinse away oil and treat acne.

2. A Strong Toner

Some refuse to hop aboard the Toner Train, but if you want a truly beneficial routine, you must have a toner. Toner’s can be used after your cleanser to erase any leftover makeup, remove excess oils (which means less acne) and to tighten your pores.

Skin Types: One of the most known and loved Toners is from Kiehl’sThe best part? It works on both dry and oily skin. This milky, rich toner will not only strip away necessities on your face, but it will moisturize it as well.

3. A Soothing Moisturizer

Regardless if you’re using a daytime moisturizer or a cream for nighttime, adding some hydration after you cleanse is vital. Like cleansers, it’s important to use a moisturizer that fits your skin type.

Skin Types: To help with oily skin, use an oil-free moisturizer to soothe and hydrate your skin. Check out this  Mario Badescu Control Moisturizer for Oily Skin. Especially during winter, those with dry skin need to take extra care of themselves. The Beautiful Skin Day Cream for Dry/Very Dry Skin moisturizer from No7 is perfect to immediately nourish and soothe your skin.

4. A Delicate Eye Cream

Don’t let anyone tell you that you’re too young for eye cream. Newsflash: you’re never too young to take care of your skin. Though most women use eye creams for aging, that’s not the only issue eye creams solve. From dark bags to puffiness, a great eye cream is a prime investment. For most skin types, an eye cream that hydrates will do the job. A fan favorite from Kiehl’s, this  Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado will help with lines, bags and puffiness beneath your eyes.

5. A Reliable Serum

Not too many people think about a serum or face oil when arranging their everyday routine, but it’s something to consider. A serum is used to insert powerful ingredients directly into the skin. Glossier  just released their first set of serums – The Supers. Consisting of three different serums, they’re aimed to help breakouts, hydrate skin and help dullness. Regardless of your skin type, each of these serums will work in different ways to benefit your skin.

Fourth year Communications major who cares deeply about skin care and Harry Styles.