Amelia Kramer-Golden Hour Road Trip
Amelia Kramer-Golden Hour Road Trip
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus

5 Best College Student Cars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Are you looking for a car to take you where you need to go? Are you looking for a car that is not only reliable, but also cute, comfortable, and affordable? Well, you came to the right place! Whether you are a commuter or an on-campus student, you need a car that is perfect for all your needs. Here are the top five best cars for a college student:

Volkswagen bug

The Volkswagen bug is super cute, reliable, and affordable. No matter what year you choose to buy, they are all fairly similar. The 2018 model has heated seats, a backup camera, and a great sound system! The best part of the Volkswagen bug is that come in so many cute colors, the trendiest colors being yellow and red. You can customize any car of course, but this one is already super cute to start with. That way, when you do customize your bug, it will stick out since it will have some foundational charm to it. One con of the Volkswagen bug is that you must keep a close eye on the maintenance. If you don’t change the oil regularly and check up on it, then it will overheat and break down often.

Nissan Rogue

The Nissan Rogue has an unbeatable price for how new it is and how much tech is inside! It is one of those cars that will make you not only look expensive but feel expensive. Whether you are a ‘boss babe’ or a ‘chill vibe’ kind of person, this car has you covered. Nissans are also known for being reliable and affordable; they last for years on end without any problems and are very affordable to fix. Nissans also drive very smoothly which is comfortable for any situation. One con to the Nissan Rogue is that it makes a loud noise at highway speeds and has slow acceleration.

Mitsubishi Mirage

On quite a few different reliability scales, the Mitsubishi Mirage is rated 4.5 out of 5. This means you will not have to worry about buying another car for a very long time. It has good gas mileage with up to 42 MPG, which makes it one of the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid hatchbacks in America. Some cons of this car are a small size and some loud road noise.

Toyota Corolla

This car is very affordable and has some great features. Some of the features of the newer models include lane departure, auto high-beam headlights, and a backup camera. Backup cameras are very useful when parking in college garages or on the street, and help you avoid scratching your car to overall make it easier and less stressful to park. They also have a very minimalist design that is modern but cute no matter the year you choose to buy. One of the cons of the Toyota Corolla is the lack of backseat space, which could make it uncomfortable for your friends or family to ride along with you.

Hyundai Accent

The Hyundai Accent has a simple and modern cabin that makes anything you do involving your car more aesthetically pleasing. Who wouldn’t want everything they do to have some added class, elegance, and aesthetic? Unlike the other cars on this list, the cabin is quiet. If you are one of those people who can’t relax in a loud car, this is the perfect car for you. Some cons are that the trunk space is smaller than average and there is a lack of standard safety features.

Ultimately, it all comes down to your preferences when choosing the car that is right for you. The best advice for finding the perfect car is you make sure you do your research and pick a brand that is known for reliability so you won’t have to worry about last minute car troubles or repairs.

Hi Everyone! I'm Billiejean and I attend GCU. Im studying biology with an emphasis in pre-med and I am in my freshman year. Some of my favorite pass times include: Fashion, gaming and writing!