A Timeless Piece: Scarlett O’Hara’s Curtain Dress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

As the 75th anniversery of Gone With The Wind approaches, Turner Classic Movies has worked to rerelease the greatest movie ever made ( a fact which is 100% not up for debate) in theaters nationwide. This obviously inspired me to write about a vital figure in the fashion and costuming world, Scarlett O’Hara. Whether you identify as a Scarlett or a Melanie, you can’t deny the fabulousness that is Ms. O’Hara’s attire. Each aspect of this movie is incredibly well done, and the costuming is absolutely no exception. Every piece is iconic, so it was difficult to pick one to focus on, but I decided to feauture her infamous curtain attire. “I saw it in the window and I just had to have it”, said Carol Burnett in her famous parody of the classic scene (if you haven’t seen the skit, it’s well worth your time to find it on YouTube). Scarlett looks super on point while trying to win back the swoon worthy Rhett Butler, and the best part is that she created this piece by hand with the curtains left in her war torn house. Her independence, rooted in no longer relying from her family’s old money makes a powerful statement about feminism which is a huge topic today, so it was definitley a big move in 1939. This is translated in her outfit, which adds to the lasting effect it has brought from the 20th to 21st century. 

Lover of iced coffee and all things cheetah print. Just a city girl living in a small town college world.