A New Perspective on Being Thankful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Many times, you will see articles published during the holiday season that tell you to be thankful for all that you have and why you should be thankful. They are warning you to not get caught up in the glitz and glam of the holidays from extravagant gifts to parties. Well, this is not another one of those articles. I am not going to preach to you why you should be thankful, nor is my article an attempt to pin point every great thing going on in your life to stop you from complaining about the painful or negative things or showing all that you have to give voice to the less fortunate. Do not get me wrong, it is great when people give us reminders of all that we do have, especially when we are focusing on all that we do not. As well as showing us what the holidays is truly all about. 

This article is a discussion around the word “thankful”. What does it mean to be thankful? How can you show how thankful you are for a person or a club/organization/business etc…? 

The feeling of being “thankful” for all that you have or for someone is not something any one person can make you feel instantly. It is not something that we should only dwell on a couple months out of the year either. Being thankful is more than an examination of great people and wonderful things going on in our lives, it is about acknowledging and shinning light on others and all that they do in this world. It is not getting caught up in their place in our lives and how we have benefited from their relationships. Yes, the root of thankfulness steems from our experiences with someone or something. Lets look past the “me perspective” though and observe how these great people and great things are to other poeple, to the world, and most importantly why they are worth so much. I think in order to get a “full” feeling of thankfulness for someone or something, you have to understand them in all of their capactiy. When you can understand someone or something in their full capactiy, you can make them feel the most loved, appreciated, respected and of worth. Isn’t making them feel those things the best way to show you are thankful for them? 

How can you show someone or a club/organization/business you are thankful for them? Do a little research or investigating about what someone or a group would best appreciate. This may not be something obvious to you but could make their day. Some people love hand made gifts, others like an experience like a concert or a trip and many prefer to go help the less fortunate or have a favorite charity they are active in or support. We all have different resources and time to give to one another so do what you are able to. 

Now, it was not until recently that I had even thought about thankfulness in this light. Want to know what promoted me to have this new perspective on what thankfulness is? Here is the story: my mother had told a family member recently how thankful she was for them helping to take care of one of my brothers and being there for him. I was standing beside her as she said this while we were watching my nephew play on the playground at his birthday party. After I heard her say this, I internally said “wow”. I realized that in no way does my mom directly benefit from this gracious person (in this particular situation), but she is thankful for someone who is there for her son and committed to helping him. My mom appreciated and loved what someone was to someone else besides her self. She looked past the “me perspective” and saw someone in their full capacity.

I would like to give a shout out to all the mom’s out there. Even when your kid is in college or older, you are still teaching them about life. To everyone, have a wonderful holiday season with friends and family. Enjoy your time with them and do not forget to show them how thankful you are for them! 

Three things: coffee, old music and The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. I am a city girl with dreams of working within the advertising and marketing fields. When not working on homework or studying, I love to play intramurals, watch netflix and hangout with friends.  "Do your own thing on your own terms and get what you came here for" - Oliver James