This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Contouring can be terrifying even if you’ve watched a thousand make up tutorials. However, with just a couple of steps and the right products it can easily be accomplished.

Step 1. The right products

If you are just starting out with contour, or just are not confident with your makeup skills, stick with a powder formula. They are easier to buff away if you make a mistake and are also easier to gradually build color. If you are more confident then you could try a cream contour that will deliver a more defined line. Contour also involves blush and highlight. So depending what formula you have chosen to use pick the corresponding blush and highlight (i.e. cream for cream and powder for powder). The color of your contour product should have a slight grey or ashy tone to it. This will help your contour look like a more natural shadow.

Once you have picked which medium of contour you want to use, cream or powder, it’s time to get the right brushes. For the actual contour, the dark shadow part, you are going to want a slightly angled brush. If you chose a powder contour, choose a fluffier angled brush. If you chose cream pick a more densely packed angle brush. For blush use a more rounded brush both with cream and powder. You also need a brush for your highlight but this brush will look like a fan. Real Techniques has a pretty affordable brush set and they look like this! However, you can get whatever brand you want.

Step 2. How to apply

The first thing to do before applying your contour is locating your cheekbones. Once you have found them take your contour powder and place it just under your cheekbones. Don’t take the contour line too far past the middle of your face. Start with a light hand and gradually add product until you are satisfied. Remember to blend out the edges so it doesn’t look fake.

Then take your blush and add, just like with the contour, gradual color right onto of your cheekbones to where the contour ends. Remember to blend. Right on top of the with the fan brush add the highlighter.

Step 3. Make sure it stays all day

To help the contour stay all day spray a setting spray over your face. Think of it kind of like hairspray for your face. 

Step 4. You’re done!

Congratulations you now can contour like a pro! Go out into the world with confidence and let others be in awe of your talent you beautiful makeup artist you!

As a sophomore English major at Georgia College I enjoy books, coffee, theatre, and lipstick, the later maybe a little too much. I am always a sucker for a deal even if my bank account can't handle it. I am apart of swing dance, I am still in search for the perfect partner btw, a proud SuperWhoLock supporter and avid Buzzfeed reader. My car karaoke skills will amaze you as well as my expansive Pinterest account.