Fall Weather Must-Haves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

It’s the start of September and that means Fall (or Autumn, if you’re feeling politically correct) is very close by. Sniff the air. Smell the piles of crisp leaves and the shards of smashed jack-o-lanterns? That’s the scent of Fall, considered by many to be the best season.

The key to surviving the changing weather is to know how to dress for it. When you pack away your swimsuits and tank tops and get ready to pull out your Fall clothes, make sure you have these essentials:

1. A cute neutral colored dress. This is the bread and butter of your Fall wardrobe. Fall is the season where some days it’s chilly, but other days it feels like Summer is fighting to regain its grasp. For this reason, you have to have a cute dress. On the warmer days, you can wear it with sandals and a messy bun and you’re good to go. But on the colder days, you can easily pair the dress with leggings and boots.
  2. Speaking of boots, that’s another must-have. Boots and booties have become a huge part of fashion and for an obvious reason: they’re adorable and go with everything. Wear them with a dress and they make your legs look great. Wear them with jeans and a casual outfit just got a little more grown-up. For the ability to wear them with such a wide variety of outfits, I recommend the basic colors: either brown or black. Also, for us college students who have to walk a lot on campus, either go with no heels or thicker heels that will relieve some of the pain. But if you want stiletto boots, go for it. Your boots, your decisions.
  3. Scarves. They can tie entire outfits together. (Possible pun was unintentional.) Scarves are one of those fashion trends that serve a fashionable and smart purpose. When paired with an outfit properly, it can look fantastic, but it can also keep your neck warm. The neck’s important; it holds up that smart head of yours. So take care of your neck and adorn it with the proper garments.
  4. Sweaters. They call it “sweater weather” for a reason. Sweaters are perfect with jeans and with the right skirt, some sweaters can be used for business-wear as well. The best part is that sweaters come in every color you can imagine, so you don’t have to sacrifice your favorite bright colors just to fit into the more neutral Fall color scheme. My recommendation is a red sweater. One, it’ll look great with the changing leaves around you, and two, red looks good on pretty much everybody. Or if you prefer, you can get a sweater with a print. Be warned though: if you wear a sweater with stripes, you must be prepared to deal with the occasional person who will sing “The Best Time to Wear a Striped Sweater” from Spongebob.
  5. A nice jacket. This one’s a no-brainer. Cold weather means you have to dress warmly. A pea coat is a good addition to a collection. Plus you look like Sherlock Holmes, which is always cool. Leather jackets, of course, manage to walk the stylish line between cute and edgy. If you’re willing to splurge a little, North Face makes a variety of jackets that are fashion-forward and cozy, and they’ll last you for several years.

Some people are excited to see Fall arrive, and I must say I’m one of them. But to the people who are sad to see Summer go, keep in mind: Summer might be leaving, but at least you’ll look super cute as you wave goodbye to it in your new Fall wardrobe. 

Math major, theatre kid, professional hottie.