This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

We all have them, or we would like to at least think that we have them, at least one. They are the people that are always there for us, no matter the circumstances. As the Golden Girls theme song says, “Thank you for being a friend”, which should be one key phrase an actual friend would say to their actual friend. We have come to a point in existence where the word “friend” has become a word that is causally tossed around, and there seems to not be any real meaning behind the word.

The definition of the word friend is as follows [From Dictionary.com]: 1.  n. A person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations. 2. n.  A person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard. 3. v. to add a person to one’s list of contacts on a social-media website.

It seems as though, although the first two definitions are what we want to believe are what a friend is, the third definition is the one that seems to be the most common way people justify that they have friends. The word that they are really looking for to describe that person they call a friend, is really an acquaintance. The definition of the word acquaintance is as follows: 1. n. A Person known to one, but usually not a close friend. Notice how it has the word “friend” in the definition. There are many different types of friends one may have. Whether they are considered one’s actual friend, close friend, or acquaintance, here are some guidelines to help you figure out what type of friend you are, or the types of friends you have.

You might be a friend if…

• The both of you have each other’s numbers
  • You see each other at least once a week
  • You hang out with each other at least once a week
  • The both of you have a couple things in common
  • You are always there to help when the other is in need

You might be a close friend if…

• Not only do you have each other’s numbers, but you text often
  • You don’t even have to plan your hangouts, but they just happen naturally
  • You not only know them on a surface level, but on a deeper emotional level
  • You have a couple things in common, but you also respect what the other likes, even though you may not like or be interested it
  • You can automatically tell when something is wrong
  • It’s not awkward when you guys hang out
  • There is no doubt in your mind that you like spending time with this person
  • After a while of not seeing them, you can easily reconnect as if it’s only been an hour of not seeing them

You might be an acquaintance if…

• You have each other’s numbers, but don’t text that often
  • You don’t hang out that often, or make an effort to
  • You know basic facts about one another
  • The both of you don’t really talk to one another, and if you do it’s brief
  • You don’t really care that much to hang out with them
  • You have little in common, and you don’t care for any or all of their interests
  • You can’t give a definitive answer to whether or not you’re friends

You might not be friends if …

• You don’t have each other’s numbers, and you have never thought to ask for it
  • You have nothing in common
  • The both of you never hang out, or it is very awkward when you do
  • You know nothing about one another
  • You constantly can’t remember their name

These are not definitive ways of knowing what type of friend you are, or the type of friends that you might have, but they can act as a thought provoking guideline to help you figure your friendships.

Also, aspire to be like the Golden Girls! They are so AWESOME! 

Mariah is a senior psychology major, who has aspirations to work in the library science field. She enjoys listening to music and making playlists, playing board games, and crafting. She enjoys writing for Her Campus because it gives her the chance to share unconventional articles that would otherwise not be published, while at the same time promoting female empowerment.