Campus Celebrity Briggs Smith Studies Across The Pond

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Emily Briggs Smith, a senior Management major at GC, decided to spend her last semester studying abroad in the United Kingdom. Her current location is Leicester.

When asked how study abroad would help with her future career, which is to be a minister, Briggs said, “While studying abroad in the United Kingdom and Sweden, I have learned about different cultures by interacting with people from countries all over the world. I have also learned and experienced living in another country and the personal challenges. Along with those challenges came reward and lifelong memories. I also grew as a person and would not be who I am today without this wonderful experience. With my future career it will help me better interact and understand people from different countries and cultures within the church.”

When asked what she has learned from her study abroad experience, Briggs replied, “I have learned so much studying abroad. I have learned to get out of my comfort zone and take a chance. Those who knew me before (Brittany Haoui) know that I was not spontaneous. After studying abroad I am spontaneous and love to try something new.”

She encourages us to “Live in the moment” and “carpe diem!” Aside from this Briggs said,”I have also learned to not be judgmental but instead learn from others and listen.”

Briggs thinks the best part about studying abroad is the people. “I enjoy meeting new people, the locals and international students. I have been fortunate enough to live with people from different countries during my study abroad. I have had so many great conversations about religion, politics, culture and society in different countries.  I have made friendships and memories that will last a lifetime.” But, she says, “Let’s not forget the adventures and new experiences. While studying abroad in the UK I have tried things I thought I would never do. Such as rock climbing and street dance. It has tested my fears and strengths.”

Between both of her times doing study abroad Briggs has been able to visit: Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Leicester United Kingdom, London, Scotland, Ireland. And she plans to visit Germany, Switzerland and Poland after her studies end in December.

When asked about her favorite part of her first study abroad Briggs said that she previously studied in Vaxjo, Sweden and that her experience there has been very different from the UK.

“One of the best experiences in Sweden was the snow and the weather. In Sweden I experienced the coldest weather I ever have in my life. It was so cold some days my bones would hurt. I saw so much snow that I didn’t know could be possible. And then suddenly by end of April the sun was out. One of the other best parts of Sweden was my trip to Lapland in Finland where I went dog sledding, swam in the Arctic Ocean and saw the magnificent northern lights!”

Briggs has been able to meet people from all over the world. She said, “Some of my best friends are from Germany, Greece, France, Lithuania, Poland, Sweden, and Finland. I have also met people from South Korea, Turkey and India.” Briggs also said “I have made so many friends but also some really special friends. Friends that I will always be friends with no matter the years that pass. We are connected by the experiences and memories we had together and all that we know about each other. It is a kind of special bond that is hard to explain.”

Briggs said that European classes have “very little assignments. Like one paper or exam at the end. Also, not a lot of lectures. I have one lecture per class each week. Therefore, you have to have good time management. The weird thing is that they can do reassessments meaning retake an exam or redo a paper and still pass the class. It’s strange to me. Like what’s the point?”

Briggs was asked if the European lifestyle was different than the American lifestyle and she said “Yes, it is more laid back. People are easy going and are not always in a rush like we are. They enjoy life and the little things. I have learned to do this through my study abroad.”

In her spare time she rock climbs, hangs out with friends, meets new people, does Pilates, laughs, and most importantly travels.

Briggs was asked what the most important thing has been that she’s gained from her experiences with study abroad and her reply was, “I have gained friends I will have forever and memories to last a lifetime. Some memories that make me smile, cry and laugh from time to time.”

Briggs’ favorite place she has visited has been Lapland in Finland. “My trip and the experience of seeing the northern lights was one of my fondest memories.”

Her advice to students considering study abroad is: “Do it! It will be the best decision of your life. It will change who you are now into who you are meant to be. I know it’s a little cheesy but it is so true. I say take the chance and step out into the unknown because what you might find might be even better than what you have now.”

Safe travels, Briggs! Send us some postcards!