Big Smile, Even Bigger Heart: Jacob Zawoysky, Homecoming King Candidate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Jacob Zawoysky is easily one of the best men I know. As the team leader of my research group last semester, I can definitely say that he is the guy that will get the job done. A Junior Mass Communications Major from Milton, GA, you can be assured that any time spent around this guy will be a hoot! Not only does he have a great sense of humor and his self-proclaimed “big ol’ mama’s boy” charms, He also loves volunteerism and making an impact within the community. Working at the GIVE Center as their Social Media Manager is only part of his various contributions. He can frequently be found raising funds and supporting GC Miracle as well as dancing the night away in dance marathons in order to support the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Macon’s Children’s Hospital. Sound too good to be true yet? He even loves Space Jam so much so that his favorite song is the Space Jam Theme song AND his favorite actor is Michael Jordan. I mean come on. What other qualifications do you need to be Homecoming King?

Her Campus: What do you like to do in your spare time?

Jacob Zawoysky: I love watching sports. Any sport. But especially basketball. I’m a huge Chicago Bulls fan and watch every game that’s on TV. I also love playing basketball and football. I love movies. I’m seriously such a huge movie nerd. I love being outdoors and hiking/biking. I love spending any time I have and visiting the Children’s Hospital in Macon, Ga. Or just taking the time to do any volunteer work.

HC: Are you a fan of Star Wars? 

JZ: Without a doubt. Even a fan of the prequels. I saw The Force Awakens twice in theaters on back to back nights and loved it. My favorite one is absolutely The Empire Strikes Back. One of the best sequels ever made hands down. Favorite character is Han Solo too. I mean come on he’s the best.

HC: How were you chosen for the Homecoming Ticket within your fraternity?

JZ: That’s a good question! (Lol jk.) I think I was chosen because of my well rounded personality and involvement in a plethora of activities on campus. My fraternity believed that I could represent them in the best way possible and I plan on doing that!

HC: Your beard is great. Any tips for guys trying to manage their own?

JZ: First off, thank you for that! I’m very grateful for the ability to grow facial hair and I never take that for granted. To all the guys out there: If you’re able to grow a beard as well, my best advice is to just make sure you wash it every day. You have to love your beard and make sure you respect it by trimming it when needed and never letting it get out of control. Growing a beard is a work of art and you have to treat it as such.

HC: You are extremely involved with GC Miracle (it’s all over your Facebook), can you tell me a bit about it and why you got involved?

JZ: GC Miracle is an incredible campus organization that raises money and awareness for Children’s Miracle Network year round. Our biggest event each year is Dance Marathon which is on April 2nd this year. Dance Marathon is a 12 hour event filled with dancing, Miracle Families from the Children’s Hospital and their stories, food, games, sports, and lots of fun! This year our goal is to raise $85,000 and those proceeds would go directly to the NeoNatal Intensive Care Unit at the Children’s Hospital in Macon, Ga. After attending the first Dance Marathon, I knew I had to join this organization and do everything I could to improve the lives of every single child in the Children’s Hospital! FOR THE KIDS!

HC: Why do you think you should be our Homecoming King?

JZ: First off I love Georgia College and it has quickly become my second home. I would want nothing more than to be able to represent this wonderful university as Homecoming King. I also plan on using this platform to raise awareness on the importance of volunteerism and the impact that students can make in their communities. This is a great opportunity for me to leave a lasting impact on this school and continue to make a difference in any way I can! Go Bobcats! And shout out to my mom for being awesome! 

Janileyah Thompson is a junior Mass Communications major. She aspires to be either a Public Diplomacy Officer and reside in South Korea one day or become a Victoria Secret Angel, whichever comes first. She's a huge World War II buff with a passion for Korean soap operas and turtles. She is also an adamant supporter of Captain America being the best superhero ever.