This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Merry Zohn is a Biology major, Chemistry minor, with a pre-Medicine concentration. Her hometown is Than Tlang, Chin State, Myanmar. She came to the US with her family as a political refugee from Burma on February 3, 2005. 

At GC, Merry has been involved in: SAO, Chemistry Club, Pre-Healthcare Alliance, International Club, Circle K, Emerging Leaders, Leadership Certificate Program, and Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM).

“Last year, I was an officer for the International Club (Secretary). My first job as a secretary of the club was to take charge in the Buddy Program. This program matched International Students with American students prior to the start of the school year so that the international student could have a real life example of living in America before coming here. Throughout the whole year we had field trips and game nights, but the two big projects that we had were International Day (fall) and International Dinner (spring). As officers of the club, we each had roles in the two big projects. I was an MC for the International Day, and I was also the head committee for decorations and set up. For the International Dinner, I was also the head committee of decorations and set up.”

Merry’s favorite part of International Club is “meeting people from all over the world and helping them understand and adapt to American culture. 

She says that “some of my closest friends are from the International Club. I have friends from Saudi Arabia, Germany, England, Thailand, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Malaysia, and I am excited to meet new incoming students. I still keep in touch with these friend every once in a while. Some have gone back to their homeland, and some are still here, but distance doesn’t change our relationship. These friendships have broaden my perspective in different cultures and religions. They have taught me that it is important to stand firm in my beliefs and my culture, but it is also important to be open minded to my surroundings.”

She wants to “encourage everyone to join the GC international Club. It is a great way to learn about the world without having to go to a different place. Most people think that International Club is only for international students–but it’s not. Everyone is welcome!”

Merry has also been involved in mission work, including a trip over the summer. “This past summer, I went to Mahasarakham, Thailand. I went through the Send Me Now (SMN) program sponsored by the Baptist Collegiate Ministry of Georgia.  

The purpose of my trip was to share the gospelSMN sent two girls (including me), and two guys. Throughout the summer, we taught English at Mahasarakham University, Faculty of Tourism and Hotel Management, Agricultural School (community college), and two village schools (elementary level).”

Her favorite part of the trip was to get to know the students. “I love sharing my faith and my testimonies. I know that it’s a long shot of inspiring them to believe in Jesus and the bible, but I know I had to try. My most favorite moment was riding Song Tau (city bus) and talking (trying) to talk to them in Thai. We would ride the Song Tau all the time to get to places. From those times, we tried to communicate to students and invite them to our place for hangout. In general, Thai people are very shy at first, so I enjoyed talking to them and getting them out of their comfort zone, especially when it comes to talking about religion.”

“I went to Nicaragua (Spring break 2013) for a mission trip. Through BCM, I also went to Atlanta Dream CenterClarkston Mission Trip, and Stone Mountain Trip

I went to Nicaragua with my sisters from Sigma Alpha Omega, but the program that we went through is called Amigos por Cristo. We went there to help build water system for small villages.When I went to Atlanta Dream Center, it was only for a weekend, but through that time, we helped feed the homeless and participated in prayer walk for girls who are involve in prostitution or is in sex trafficking, as Atlanta is one of the largest site for sex trafficking. Clarkston is a small city, but is one of the most diverse city in the US. There are thousands of refugees from all over the world. When we went there, we played with the kids and visited with and prayed for new refugee families.”

When asked about her ultimate goal, Merry said: “I grew up in a third world country, so I know from firsthand what it’s like to be poor. In my city(Than Tlang), medicine was and still is limited. Ultimately, I want to go back to Burma and help others though medicine (maybe start a non-profit organization) and be a full time missionary. I have a heart for my people as they have taught me a lot about life, so I want to give back as much as I can, and all for the glory of God.”

Merry Zohn is a girl everyone should try to meet! However it can be difficult to catch her as her many clubs, organizations, and school work keep her busy.