Alina Venick: Mock Trial Expert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Everyone has probably seen at least one episode of Law and Order or run into a couple of cop shows while browsing through different television networks for something to watch. The American legal system, while inspired by and influencing other cultures, is something unique to our culture. We’re fascinated by it, and our deep-seated interest is reflected in the frequent news coverage, existence of networks like CourTV, and all of those legal dramas and movies.

One of GCSU’s students was able to get in on the action in a unique and interesting way. Senior English Major Alina Venick recently participated in an event called a Mock Trial, which is sponsored through the American Mock Trial Association (AMTA). At GCSU, the mock trial group started out as part of the Pre-Law Society but has recently become its own RSO. As a way to help students interested in becoming involved in law practice, the event is very much what it sounds like: a simulation of a court case, either criminal or civil. Students are divided into groups and given specific cases that include plenty of evidence, witness, and case law. Three people are assigned as lawyers with six or seven others as witnesses. The trial is then overseen by a judge at competition. The judges are usually actual attorneys.

But the process isn’t entirely on-the-nose. Much of what they team members are required to do involve writing scripts and preparing a convincing performance. Witnesses are responsible for coming up with their characters based on the case and the evidence. They spend several months preparing their case by writing openings and closings, rehearsing their roles, and memorizing each question that will be asked by the attorneys.  “Attorneys have to understand each witness that they are directing and crossing, as well as create openings and closings,” Alina says. “While real attorneys are able to use legal pads and podiums, mock trial attorneys are expected to have all their openings, closings, and questioning memorized.” Unlike a real trial, performance is a key factor in whether or not the team will be given a high score.

This year, the competition they were placed in was located in Orlando, Florida. The team competed in four rounds, winning one and losing the other three by a small margin.

Alina herself played a character witness for their trial: Jesse Duran, a fifteen year-old at the time of the trial and who, at eleven years old, was responsible for shooting another eleven year-old. “I spent the whole time on the stand crying about how it was an accident and I didn’t mean to shoot my best friend,” she says. In this particular court case, Alina says that the law makes the parent liable if the minor intentionally hurts someone. It’s known as negligent parental supervision. She made sure to make her performance of the role convincing: “I kept shaking and biting my nails. I really sold it. The judges liked me, but I did get the comment that I needed to reign in the crying a little bit.” Her efforts paid off, as she ranked first or second by all of the scoring judges.

The experience has a strong impact on the people who participate, from the real-world experience to the fun of competing. Students can learn “how to interact with the judge, opposing counsel, and handling objections,” Alina points out. Regarding her own experience, she adds: “From participating, I was able to improve my acting and public speaking skills. While my acting skills probably won’t be as important in my legal career—unless I need to learn how to cry on command—my rhetorical skills will help me. I learned a lot about what would appeal to judges and a jury from the judges’ comments, and from observing what worked and didn’t work for teams.” Alina was glad that she could represent the pre-law students as well as the GCSU student body. She even got the opportunity to snag herself a stuffed Stitch while visiting downtown Disney–something that’s always a plus!

The ramblings of a young undergrad writer who also has an obsession with Disney and the color purple. If I'm not writing papers or stories I'm coloring, playing piano, or scrounging about the Internet for new music.