5 Ways to Show You’re Thankful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

This Thanksgiving, do a little more than post on your social media site about the things you are thankful for. Show the people in your life how thankful you are they’re there and thankful for all they’ve done. Whether it be a small gesture, or a big to-do, make sure your family feels appreciated, for they’re the ones that will always be there to support you no matter what. Its time to pay them back with the kindness of your heart and the thankfulness you feel towards them. 

1) Send a thank-you note

Everyone loves getting mail, especially when they’re not expecting it to be a thank-you note from you! This is a great way to add a personal touch to your thanks and show them you care. It doesn’t have to be a formal thank-you card (although that’s a nice touch) but it can be written on that plain stationary your grandmother gave you last christmas you’ve yet to use. Saying thank you for a specific thing someone has done for you can go a long way.

2) Give them a hug

If you’re the type that doesn’t show your affection very often, this will mean a lot to the person you’re thankful for. Even if you are an affectionate person, this will still mean a lot to your family to see just how much they mean to you. Everyone loves hugs, so you can’t go wrong!

3) Make your parents breakfast 

Your parents have done a lot for you over the years, so why not show them how grateful you are for all the breakfasts they cooked you by cooking them one in return? This will be a huge gesture for them, especially if you’re not the cooking type, and even if you burn the toast and oversalt the eggs, they will love the breakfast you cooked from the heart.

4) Give a little gift

It doesn’t have to be expensive, or even very big, but a small gift will show that person in your life you’re most thankful for that you have enjoyed their influence over your life and they have had a huge impact on you.

5) Acknowledge them publicly

If your family is all getting together under one roof for Thanksgiving, this would be the perfect opportunity to acknowledge the people you’re most thankful for. You can do this in the form of a toast before everyone digs in to the spread of Thanksgiving food, or you could be the one to say the prayer and thank the Lord for all those wonderful people in your life. Acknowledging how thankful you are for these people publicly would make them feel special and show everyone you really appreciate them.

Don’t hold back! Show your family and friends or role models you’re thankful for having them in your life. They’ll appreciate your honesty and your expression of love. 

I'm a senior here at Georgia College. My major is English, with a concentration in creative writing, and a minor in Marketing. I love to write fiction with dabbles in poetry. I'm happily taken with the love of my life and we have an adorable puppy (that's mostly his, but I like to steal him.) Working with HerCampus has allowed me to get to know some wonderful girls and I couldn't be happier with the experience.