Style

Why Should I Bother to Look Good During Quarantine?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GA Tech chapter.

With COVID-19 striking the United States, a lot of us college students have been forced to use online outlets for previously in-person lecture classes. While some would argue that this new social distancing mandate allows for us to work in our pajamas, I beg to disagree. Dressing up for class and putting in effort in your appearance is essential to surviving the mundaneness of quarantine life. It boosts morale, promotes good hygiene, cures boredom, and helps to distinguish from times of work and play.

My mom always tells me that “If you look good, you feel good” — or at least better, under these gloomy circumstances. There’s something pleasing about transforming your appearance, even if it’s just from one oversized t-shirt to another. It’s a matter of starting the day, and setting a tone of productivity. Although we have to stay at home during these difficult times, we still have the power to make every day a good one. Starting off your morning by picking out a nice outfit lays a foundation of positivity and good vibes.

But I’m not going to sugar-coat the situation! If your social distancing is going anything like mine, you must be bored out of your mind, stressed or both! Before classes started, I would do so many things to try to pass the day away and take my mind off of things. Reading, writing and binge watching Netflix wasn’t enough! Without the ability to do simple things like go to a favorite study space or eat lunch with friends, there’s almost too much free time to fill. I learned early on that spending a few minutes to put on makeup and change out of my pjs not only made me feel better, but it also spent that extra time I found fiddling my thumbs.

Working from home can make every day feel the same. Online classes started this week, and I noticed it can be hard to differentiate from study time and break time without an allocated workplace. Because the time you spend working fades into the time you set aside to relax, each hour goes by uneventfully. Dressing up and dressing down are simple and easy things you can do to help distinguish from work and play.

The coronavirus pandemic is definitely going down in history for causing hysteria, infecting many, destroying the economy and taking precious lives. There is very little we can do individually to make this go away besides staying indoors. Social distancing, though bleak, is going to save so many lives. To help the days of quarantine pass by, start each day off right with taking care of yourself! Get dressed to hang out with your siblings in the living room. Put on athletic clothes and do a home work out! Wear your favorite top to a facetime call with your significant other! Do what you can to make yourself feel better in these hard times.

My name is Jasmyn Marie Pellebon, and I am a 3rd year Biology major at the Georgia Institute of Technology. During my free time, I like to read, write, listen to music, sing, dance, and style my natural hair. In addition to these hobbies, I have a huge passion for social activism and cultural education. Recently, I merged these passions with my love of reading, and created a book club on GT's campus (Hekima ["Wisdom" in Swahili] Book Club)! I also have a natural hair business that allows me to practice my love for styling hair (Follow my business on Instagram at @theofficialallthatjazz).