This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GA Tech chapter.

Georgia Tech’s deep love for CS and machine learning has inevitably led to the Love Machine: a 

32-question survey that asks questions about your demographics and interests in hopes of matching you 

with another student. The Agency, our machine learning club, developed an algorithm, which has 

matched more then 800 students since the first survey went up in 2019. The questions range from asking 

about your major to whether you would share homework answers with your friend if they were struggling 

in class. In hopes of getting a peek into a person’s values and personality traits, the Love Machine survey 

is quickly becoming a fun tradition at Tech. 

After finding out about the survey, my friends jokingly told me to fill it out just to see what would 

happen. Without thinking twice, I filled it out and didn’t think about it again until an email popped up in 

my inbox a few weeks later. I opened the email to see a black banner with a white heading saying: 

“YOUR MATCHES ARE HERE!” In a world where dating apps are ingrained in people’s phones, it 

seemed like a familiar announcement. I followed the instructions laid out and messaged the phone number 

attached to a faceless name in my inbox. Two minutes later, he replied! We quickly realized we had been 

in the same math class since the Fall semester. Texts turned into following each other on Instagram then 

meeting up to study at a cramped desk in CULC. With every conversation, I saw how alike we were in the 

things that mattered the most to me. How did an algorithm get it so right? 

It’s been two months since we met and we have a running joke about how the CS gods brought us 

together. Did the survey work its machine learning magic or was it an occurrence of serendipity? 

Whatever it was that brought him into my life has made me believe even more in the power of trying 

things at least once. A place like Georgia Tech has and will have so many opportunities for students to get 

out of their comfort zones and live life outside of lecture halls. I took a shot at a survey and ended up 

meeting one of the best people I’ve ever known. As the survey gets modified throughout the years, it’ll be 

interesting to see the new couples formed and how machine learning can branch out into other aspects of 

everyday life on campus.

Vanesa Vargas

GA Tech '23

Vanesa is a third-year student at Georgia Tech majoring in Neuroscience with a minor in Biology. Outside of GT, you can find her in QUARANTINE.