This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

If you are a woman and do not suffer from any premenstrual symptoms, you would be in the minority. An estimated 75% of women experience some type of premenstrual symptoms including nausea, muscle/joint pain, cramps, food cravings, and mood changes. However, 3 to 8% of women suffer from PMDD or premenstrual dysphoric disorder. It is hard to differentiate between the two because many symptoms of PMDD are the same as PMS. However, PMDD’s symptoms are much more severe, especially in regards to mental health symptoms. While mood swings are a normal symptom for a woman to have before her period begins, individuals with PMS experience extreme hopelessness, irritability and anxiety one to two weeks before the start of their period. Physical symptoms of PMS plus additional severe depressive symptoms are indicators of PMDD. When an individual’s premenstrual symptoms affect her so severely she is unable to engage in her daily life, she is likely suffering from PMDD. The causes of PMDD are unknown, but it is estimated that it is linked to genetics and changes in hormone levels.

If you are questioning whether your symptoms are PMS or PMDD the best thing to do is 1) track the arrival and timing of your symptoms and 2) familiarize yourself with the symptoms of PMDD. According to hopkinsmedicine.org, PMDD can be diagnosed if, “Over the course of a year, during most menstrual cycles, 5 or more of the following symptoms must be present:

• Depressed mood
  • Anger or irritability
  • Trouble concentrating
  • Lack of interest in activities once enjoyed
  • Moodiness
  • Increased appetite
  • Insomnia or feeling very sleepy
  • Feeling overwhelmed or out of control

While PMDD is a real disorder many women suffer from, it is manageable. Serotonin-Reuptake Inhibitors, a type of antidepressant, and birth control can help manage hormonal changes that lead to PMDD symptoms, as well as life-style changes. PMDD is physically and mentally challenging. If you have, or think you have PMDD, make sure you take the steps to take care of yourself just like you would for any other mental or physical disorder.

Madison is a Senior Heath Science major and is passionate about the social sciences, womens' health, and environmental health. Outside of HerCampus, she is a member of Futones acapella group and Furman’s Chi Omega chapter. She is a lover of reality TV, singing, hot girl walks, and mid day naps. Following college, Madison hopes to pursue Occupational Therapy.