Style

How to Get the Most Out of Online Thrift Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Recently, I made my first ThredUp purchase, and I have been hooked ever since. 

I have seen different YouTubers advertise it for years, and have peeked at the website here and there, but never gave it a good shot. I would take a look at the website and see clothing I considered out of style, not trendy, and overpriced for out of date stuff. But once I learned the strategies to effectively shop this website, I was able to find some great pieces and feel good about a sustainable purchase.

To effectively use this website and get the best out of being able to thrift shop from your comfort of your own home, here are some tips I have learned. 

Search for the brands you love.

The easiest way to make sure that the clothes you order fit you is to order from brands you know you love and get the sizes you have previously owned. I purchase a lot of Madewell stuff and it all fits perfectly because I know this brand’s sizing well. This also is fun because you get clothing from your favorite brands, but for a fraction of the price. 

Search by particular items and colors. 

You can search for very specific items which makes your experience so much easier and makes shopping here more worthwhile than in-person thrift shopping. Recently I have been trying to find a cute white turtleneck and brown skirt for a retro fall look and being able to search for these exact items makes it super easy. Just make sure to pay attention to brands so you have an idea of how it fits! 

Favorite your items and watch other people’s carts! 

Even if you are not sure if you are going to make a purchase, make an account and start adding pieces to your favorites. This helps you keep track of all the cute things you have found, and you can come back to them later. You can also track which of your favorites are in other people’s carts and can wait to see if they release them, so you can purchase them. 

Put things in YOUR cart

If you find something you really want, but don’t know if you are ready to make a purchase, just add the item to your cart as you would with other online shops. The item is only in your cart for 24 hours, so you will eventually have to decide, but you still have time to figure out if that is what you really want. 

Get the app!

The app can be a little addicting, but definitely worth it. It makes browsing and adding items to your favorites so easy! You can just scroll around and search just as easily as on the website, and it is extra fun to have it as an easy to use app. 

(Photo Courtesy of ThreadUp)

I definitely recommend you ThredUp to not only save money on your favorite brands but reduce the guilt of buying fast fashion by investing in second-hand goods. You can really find some treasures on this site and searching is half the fun! 

Happy shopping! 

Abigail is a junior Educational Studies major and writer for Her Campus Furman. She has a passion for working with kids and aspires to be a Speech Therapist. Her favorite activities include horseback riding, traveling, going to concerts, and partaking in self-care.
Mackenzie Smith is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior majoring in Public Health with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Mackenzie has a passion for making sure women feel empowered and important throughout all stages of life which can be seen through her work with Girlology and The Homeless Period Project.