This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Today I want to talk about appreciating friendships and highlight how much we need to appreciate our friends, as sometimes we forget to. While I’m blessed to have numerous amazing friends, the one friend that comes to mind always is my big in my sorority, Sofia Groves (AKA “Sof”). I met Sofia my freshman year and we instantly clicked. She came up to me, a terrified freshman on bid day, and her smile made me feel at home. From then on, we would commonly be found dancing like nobody was watching (sometimes in horrible goth makeup at frat parties), laughing up and down my Blackwell hall to laying on our beds, talking about our lives and how we came to be who we are. Sof is different like that, she loves to “goon,” as we say but she loves seeing people for all that they are, and wants to know everything about people. She makes me feel more heard than anybody I have ever known and that deserves to be appreciated. 

Sof has gotten me through every moment at Furman: the good and the bad. She never judges me, is always hyping me up and truly wants the best for me. She is jealous of no one and remembers everything I tell her, she makes me feel valued (and makes many others feel the very same). She deserves to be celebrated and valued right back, and I encourage you to do the same for friends you find do this for you. 

Sof, unfortunately, has run into health issues recently and is in a medically-induced coma. It breaks my heart not to text her everyday, about all things life, The Bachelor, and day-to-day funny stories. But, in this time I have gone without being able to talk to her, I have gotten to really dive deep into our relationship and realize how impactful she has been in my life. Sof makes me a better person in the kind way she speaks of others. She makes me want to love more people, even if they have wronged me. She makes me focus on the happy things in life. 

Every day since Sof has been in her coma, I have listened to her “Happy is a good look” playlist. Although Sof cannot be here to text me or to make Sunday brunch, her optimism is radiating with me as I struggle to deal with her not being here. 

Now, this article isn’t to make people sad. It is to celebrate a girl who has poured into me so much as my mentor, sister, and best friend. It is to encourage you all to look into your friendships deeper and celebrate those friendships now, while you can. It is to spread the appreciation to your loved ones and to remind yourself about the value of friendship. Friendships are more than the funny nights, the roadtrips, etc. Friendships are also thinking about how friends have bettered you as a person, without you even realizing it. 

So, I encourage you all to think about your friendships. Maybe you think of one person, maybe you have numerous people in mind, whatever it may be – reach out to them. Write them a note. Ask them to go for a lake walk. Deliver them flowers. Life is too short to go without appreciating the people who care for you throughout this roller coaster called life. Spread some sunshine and some smiles. You will never regret making people feel appreciated.

Savannah Hobbie is a senior Politics & International Affairs and Communications double major at Furman University. She hopes to attend law school after college. Aside from Her Campus, she is on the executive boards for both Panhellenic Council and the Chi Omega sorority at Furman. She is a mentor for Ladies of Distinction and is an orientation leader. She also has two internships serving as a social media manager. Her passions include self-care, writing about vulnerable topics, beauty, spreading love, and hyping people up!