This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

In the summer between fourth and fifth grade, my boobs seemed to balloon over night. 

While some girls grow up anxiously awaiting the arrival of some hot cleavage, I was not one of them. I was your typical tomboy who refused to wear anything besides a sports bra. Thus, I threw a tantrum when my mother dragged me to a Victoria’s Secret where I was fitted for my very first bra. I still remember crying in the dressing room when the saleswoman told me I would be wearing a size B bra from now on. 

Little did I know that I would one day have some hefty DD’s.

For a long time, I hated my breasts. Tight and low cut tops made me feel overly sexual. Shirts that hid my bust, in contrast, made me feel confined and unflattered. When running or participating in other active activities, my boobs always seemed to get in the way. I struggled with back pain due to their weight and feelings of awkwardness for their less than subtle bounciness.

My breast size greatly impacted the way that I viewed myself.

Many women share my dilemma. Whether you wear an A cup or a G cup, at some point, we have all wanted what we do not have. In fact, a study published in the journal Body Image, which consisted of 18,500 women from 40 different countries with an average age of 34, found that over 70 percent of women are dissatisfied with their breast size. Let that sink in.

Dr. Brian Labow, a member surgeon for the American Society of Plastic Surgery, describes how problematic this statistic is. He asserts that breast dissatisfaction can greatly harm emotional well-being and self-esteem, which can lead to issues with social functioning, eating behaviors, and attitudes.

I want you to know that you are not alone. I too know how easy it can be to fall into the comparison trap. Like you, I have envied girls with perfectly-sized, perky boobs. I have also looked at girls with smaller busts and thought, “it must be so nice to be able to free the nip.”

Learning to love your titties is a necessary act of self-care. I challenge you to stand in front of the mirror topless and name three things you like about your breasts. I dare you to wear a top out of your comfort zone that makes you feel hot. Lastly, I urge you to be intentional about silencing negative and comparative thoughts.

Own your boobs, love your boobs, and embrace your boobs.

With these strategies, I have come to be empowered by my tatas. My breasts now make me feel feminine, sexy, and confident. Whether you are a part of the itty bitty titty committee or rock a huge rack, I hope that you can use these strategies to appreciate how banging your boobies are.