This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Painting is an ancient art form. Some of the most wonderful works of art in the world are made up of paint and canvas. I am no DaVinci, but I do love to paint! Some of my best bonding moments at college have been sitting on the floor with pieces of cardboard, acrylic paints, and my best friends painting any random thing that came to mind. Maybe you’ve been painting your whole life or have never touched a paintbrush in your life, but these tips are designed to help all anyone take their paintings to the next level!

1. Take Your Time

Michelangelo did not paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in one afternoon. It may take weeks of months of adding and retouching to make your painting just right. 

2. Search for Inspiration

It is easy to get stuck when creating an image solely from your imagination. It is not cheating to use the internet and other source material to help you create your vision. 

3. Don’t Be Hard On Yourself

Feeling frustrated? Take a break to google some abstract art, which although beautiful, may not make much sense. Maybe conventional paintings of vases and mountains are not for you, and that is ok! Use your mistakes as an opportunity to discover your unique style. 

4. Don’t Be Afraid to Create Your Own Colors

The paint in its original form is great, but don’t be scared to experiment with different color combinations. Little variations in color can make all the difference! 

5. Paint, Paint, Paint!

Then repeat! Practice is the only way to get better. Utilize all your resources so learn new skills and then practice them. Frustrated with your flowers? Paint as many flowers as you can until you are happy with the result. 

In the end the only person who has to enjoy your paintings is you! Painting is a great way to relieve stress and have some time to yourself. Happy painting! 

Margaret Bovard is a senior at Furman University from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and she is a Health Science major. In addition to being a writer for HerCampus, Margaret works in a cardiology lab on campus and participates in theater. She is very passionate about sustainability and hopes to be an alpaca farmer one day. Margaret is an old soul, in her free time she knits, cross stitches, and complains about her back pain :). She can not wait to see the impact that HerCampus will have on Furman's Campus.
Mackenzie Smith is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior majoring in Public Health with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Mackenzie has a passion for making sure women feel empowered and important throughout all stages of life which can be seen through her work with Girlology and The Homeless Period Project.